Nitrox class question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
If you have a toxing student, hmmm.
1) You probably went too deep.

2) You probably messed up the mix.

3) Your diving career is probably over.
how will you know if the student is toxing if you're not in the water with them?

Anyway, this has to do with rescuing and making sure both careers are not ending...and no one mentioned student in this portion of the discussion except for you.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
how will you know if the student is toxing if you're not in the water with them?

Anyway, this has to do with rescuing and making sure both careers are not ending...and no one mentioned student in this portion of the discussion except for you.

I thought we were talking about a nitrox class, where you make sure the bottom of the ocean/quarry is 95 ft or less?

I thought we were talking about a nitrox class,
Are you opposed to teaching your students how to rescue a toxing diver in your class.....

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Are you opposed to teaching your students how to rescue a toxing diver in your class.....

I prefer to portray CNS Ox Tox as the boogieman, and teach how to avoid it, NOT take students over a chasm and see if they can stop on a dime at 95 ft.

Dont plan to ever see an ox toxing diver.

Neither do I, but I don't ever plan on running out of gas either....but that doesn't mean I don't know how to deal with the situation...why not teach a student how to handle a situation if you're going to certify them and increase the potential for seeing a toxing diver?

I prefer to portray CNS Ox Tox as the boogieman, and teach how to avoid it, NOT take students over a chasm and see if they can stop on a dime at 95 ft.

Karl,

I hope you are not an instructor with that approach. I don't mean to slam you but that is a reckless way to approach this subject. Oxygen toxicity is a highly unpredicatable event and even with all of the studies that have been done of the subject about the only consensus is that oxygen is too volitile to predict..

In that regard, rather then look at this an an either or, meaning you eaither teach avoiding it -v- rescuing it from the boogieman, the real question is why aren't you advocating doing BOTH..

There is no responsible way to appraoch this subject without acknowledging that teaching how to rescue a toxing diver in a Nitrox class is the most prudent course of action.

I'm out the door for the weekend but I totally disagree with you on this issue.

Later

MHK once bubbled...

Karl,

I hope you are not an instructor with that approach. I don't mean to slam you but that is a reckless way to approach this subject. Oxygen toxicity is a highly unpredicatable event and even with all of the studies that have been done of the subject about the only consensus is that oxygen is too volitile to predict..

In that regard, rather then look at this an an either or, meaning you eaither teach avoiding it -v- rescuing it from the boogieman, the real question is why aren't you advocating doing BOTH..

There is no responsible way to appraoch this subject without acknowledging that teaching how to rescue a toxing diver in a Nitrox class is the most prudent course of action.

I'm out the door for the weekend but I totally disagree with you on this issue.

Later

The last actual CNS ox tox incident that I know of was from an article about a DIY (Do It Yourself) diver who DIY'ed his own back-mounted nitox rich mix set up, and ox toxed himself at depth. He was diving solo, by the way.

Per Rodales, if you keep your PO2 to 1.6 or less it is impossible to ox tox, or at least there are no records of an ox tox at 1.6 or less, per the article.

We teach 1.4 across the board for non-deco EANx use. And we teach EANx not pure oxygen.

I cannot imagine any reason to need to know how to rescue an ox toxing diver, since we are more likely to meet space aliens before we meet an ox toxing diver (if taught properly, and not dangled over a chasm).

So you would rather your students have the crutch of a bottom, then make sure they have the proper bouyancy control to maintain a MOD before you give them a card?

How's your insurance policy?

Spectre once bubbled...

How's your insurance policy?

paid in full.

we cover buoyancy in basic OW. thats why its always better to have several dives not just 4 for OW certification.

If you are diving a wall, you have to stop somewhere.

If you are diving air, you need to stop long before 185 ft.

If you are diving EAN36, you need to stop before 95 ft. But the payoff is that you can stay there longer.

Your insurance will cost less in the long term if you make sure there is a bottom under your students at 95 ft or shallower for an EANx class.

Per Rodales, if you keep your PO2 to 1.6 or less it is impossible to ox tox, or at least there are no records of an ox tox at 1.6 or less, per the article.

Complete BS. The problem is they chalk 'em up to drowning, and don't bother looking into them further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom