Nitrox Certification without dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

st1650:
I would love to do the Nitrox Certification online, is it possible?

My LDS charge a ridiculus price for the PADI EAN diver classe ...

Are there no other shops around that can teach Nitrox? I can't imagine the stuff you'd miss if you tried to do this online.

st1650:
I would love to do the Nitrox Certification online, is it possible?

I think most every agency requires students to analyze a tank or two of gas. Then again, they've been waving dive requirements, so maybe they'll start waving analysis requirements too.

Here in San Diego OE was charging ~$85 for the course plus the usual stuff. I don't see PADI making it completely on-line as there are a minimum of 2 required plans to be done, including analyzing the gas.

PerroneFord:
They do for the class I took. :)

Nice. When I did IANTD Nitrox, my instructor required them. And I learned a great deal. We did modified frog kick, did a lot of buoyancy development, etc.. It was great (100 minutes of one-on-one bottom time).

However, per the 2003 standards:

G. Qualification Requirements
1. Upon completion of the lecture portion and passing the written exam, the IANTD EANx Diver card will be issued.

And that's all she wrote.

PerroneFord:
What a shame.

Agreed.

To be fair, they still recommend two dives, but they aren't required.

Oh well. Let's not start this argument again.

I fielded a question on here a while back from someone about why END on nitrox was the same as air. From someone who took one of these 4 hour, no dive, classes. I'm sorry, I really think the dives should be a part of it. I went back and forth on whether to do the dives or not when I was going to take mine (SSI or IANTD) and having done the dives, I can't see doing it any other way. Four hours is just not enough time. Especially if that 4 hours includes the test.

SDI and TDI do not require dives for the EANx Certification. Word from SDI HQ is that within about 6 weeks they will have an online EANx Course. However...even though you take the academics online you will still need to meet with an instructor and cover analysis of your gas, filling in the logs, labeling of tanks, etc. Once the shops and instructors begin working with the online course there will probably be a fee for the online academics and also a fee for the instructor time. Hopefully the costs will be bundled so there will be just one payment.

PerroneFord:
Out of curiosity, how do they tell you to label your tank in these "no dive" classes? Where do you put your analysis info, and what's on it.

I took IANTD Nitrox and they required the dives.

For the PADI Enriched Air Diver cert, you are required to perform simulated dives if you choose to not do the option dives. You still have to demonstrate that you can plan Nitrox dives, analyze your mixture, and fill out all necessary paper work. Basically you do everything except don you rig and jump in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom