Nitrox Certification without dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cirwin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

In another thread, someone mentioned that you can now get Nitrox certified without having to do any dives. Does anyone have more info about this? Is this done online or through a shop? I live in Long Beach, CA.

Thanks,

Chris

I think PADI has dropped the requirement for dives. Not sure about the other agencies. Not sure why you couldn't do it online but I'm not aware of any sites that offer it.

I got my Nitrox card last year through a PDIC LDS. No dives required. The class was about 4hrs one evening with a written test at the end.
As the instructor said when I asked about any required dives "Nitrox looks the same, tastes the same and breathes the same as air. The class teaches you what to do, what not to do, and explains why."

I just completed my PADI EAN specialty. There are no longer any dives required. They are optional. Our class decided not to do the dives. Instead your instructor is supposed to lead you through a dive planning exercise as if you were going to do the dives. The PADI course involves a video, fairly decent book with required knowledge reviews that are discussed in class and then an exam.

I did my EANx with TDI, three hours of classroom, a test and a card.

We used the PADI EANx manual and video as the course materials.

diverdan214:
SSI also has dives optional (or else I just got someone in trouble).

No, I did my Nitrox thru SSI last year. No dives required.

Out of curiosity, how do they tell you to label your tank in these "no dive" classes? Where do you put your analysis info, and what's on it.

I took IANTD Nitrox and they required the dives.

I was certified with Dive Tech in the Cayman Islands 2 years ago. All classroom, no diving required but the testing and instruction was very strict. Any question you got wrong you went over with the instructor untill he was sure you understood it. Took 3 days to complete. We didn't mark the tanks except to make sure they are labeled Nitrox. Before using the tanks You fill out a chart showing the mix by using a tester to verify what it actually is versus what you asked for.

I just took the PADI EAN course down in Key Largo. The $200 price of the class included two EAN dives. I was going to be diving that day anyway. It saved me $80-90 on a charter I would have paid for anyway. Seemed liked a fair deal to me. I also liked the practical aspect of picking up your Nitrox tanks and testing them with both a "sniffer" and enclosed style sensors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom