Nitrox Certification without dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They may not require any dives, but I found it very helpful to do a real life example of planning. We started out with air then switched to Nitrox, and had to work the tables. It was more helpful to me, but the diving is no different

It's interesting the things some have gone through. Everything PerroneFord said he did in class we did as well, it was expected although the only questions asked really regarded the Padi Tables and the what happens if you violate MOD for a bit to rescue a buddy. The questions on the tables arose because the other guys were NASE and they use a different table for diving and didn't know how the Padi tables worked. I got to show them how it worked, but other than the question on tables due to their being unfamiliar with them we pretty much knew how to do it. The book is fairly good and covers the material you're expected to know, and they have the common trick questions that require you to read in detail or you'll miss the thing. I missed one because I didn't read closely, got the right numbers but they worded it such that I should have used them backwards of how I did it. As is the instructor asked me to figure out why it was wrong and in half a second I said it's because they tricked me and pointed out I was right in my math, I just didn't read the question accurately.

Nothing was done as a group, each one of us had to analyze our mix. The instructor put varying amounts of O2 in each tank so the mix would be different which made some of us recalculate the plans and others didn't have to. It was a lesson in how important analyzing the mix is in other words.

Underwater we didn't do anything other than swim around a while and enjoy the dive and watch the computers give us more time under. The dive portion wasn't anything you had to do, if you elected to skip it you had to show your dive plans and analyze things and re plan stuff. Basically the same as if you dove.

After the dive nobody was tired or sloppy, not sure why that would happen but I know some people do get tired from diving and others do not.

PS, I didn't notice any benefits of Nitrox beyond the stated benefits of it, in other words I wasn't any less tired than normal which is to say I rarely get tired out. My wallet was lighter however...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom