Nitrox Certification without dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perfect! Thanks so much. I notice it also has a fill date (as does the IANTD sticker) and it has pressure on it. That one I find curious. I do this for my own purposes so I can work on calculating SAC when I get home, but I don't know that I'd want it on my tank sticker. But I guess it makes sense from a "contents" perspective.

CompuDude:
Does PADI even have a special marking sticker? Most people I've seen use cheap brown masking tape (the 1-2" shipping stuff) and a sharpie.

I use red duct tape (because I couldn't find 'Nitrox Green') and a sharpie.

PerroneFord:
but I don't know that I'd want it on my tank sticker. But I guess it makes sense from a "contents" perspective.

Exactly. If you expect to see 2700PSI but you see 3200PSI, something may be amiss.

I write fill pressure, MOD, date, and my initials.

PerroneFord:
Hmmm,

What did I do with my dive time in class. First, I got to pepper my instructor with questions. Everything from NDLs, to decompression, to richer mixes and best mix. In pre-dive, I got to work my MOD calcs seperately from my buddy. Our Mixes didn't agree since they were partial pressure blended. So we had to have a discussion and come to an agreement on what true MOD was. Perhaps not relevant in recreational depths, but we were doing 100ft dives and we actually COULD have violated MOD.

Maybe you didnt spend enough time with the book before class? I paid for the class and got my book (PADI) about 2 months before I took the test. I had NO questions about NDLs, or best mix or calcs. By the time I was able to go back to the DS (over 100 miles away) I had read the entire book about 3 times, and the important (the purple section) about 10 times. I had run calcs till I was sick of them and had the equations memorized. I felt that about 90% of the book was fluff.

100 foot is still rec depth.

FD

Not everyone gets a book before class. IANTD does not do this, and that is who I trained with.

CompuDude:
As I understand it, PADI was the last one to give up the dives, and that was just a few months ago. There were some threads here on SB if anyone is curious, a search should turn them up.

Nope,

ANDI requires dives.

My LDS does it dives optional. I think they give you a discount on the tanks/fills

I got my temp card, but I still want to do the dives (heck, if it gets me wet, why not?)

Will probably be doing them this weekend.

BrianV:
What do these non-dive classes cost? My shop wants like $130-$140 for PADI and it includes 2 dives; seems like overkill.

I'm paying $75.00. $130.00 for the class, that includes 2 dives? That doesn't sound like overkill to me.....

Just finished Nitrox class last night thru SSI. No diving and we did go over the contents tag with the required information. However, we were told that most shops were going to just go and slap a piece of masking tape with only the FO2 on it and that's reality.

So i guess that purchasing some contents tags will be on me, and making sure they have the required markings as they should.

The cost for this course was $90 plus books which included the combined tables as well as clock exposure table and EAD table. Class was two nights for about and hour and half the first night and about an hour the second.

Perrone, I wondered why some shops put tape over the orifice, and now I know, Thanks.

Chris

Don't buy contents stickers. Go to the hardware store and get some masking tape. Take a nice big piece and put it over the crown of the tank. Write your info on there. I draw two vertical lines on mine, splitting the tape into thirds. On the left, I put my date blended, middle the mix percentage, on the right the MOD. I use a sharpie to write with that stays in my pouch with my dive cards and such. Additionally, I put a piece of tape elsewhere on the tank and write starting and ending pressure.

Yea, the tape over the orfice is a good idea. I also have DIN plugs that go on the tank after its been used. Taped tanks are full, plugged tanks are empty (or not full).

Back
Top Bottom