Nitrox Certification without dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are we doing to training? :(

riguerin:
For the PADI Enriched Air Diver cert, you are required to perform simulated dives if you choose to not do the option dives. You still have to demonstrate that you can plan Nitrox dives, analyze your mixture, and fill out all necessary paper work. Basically you do everything except don you rig and jump in the water.

Do you have a copy of the PADI tank sticker? I've seen several different content labes, but never one from PADI.

PerroneFord:
This is part of a problem.

The tape DOES stick.. and quite well. I've got tape that's stayed on for weeks, and writing with the sharpie works fine. Do it for all my dives. But doing the dives shows this where classroom only training does not.

Nope you try it, first wet tank, then wet tape - they don't stick :wink: Sharpies do float ...guess you missed my humour huh? :D

PerroneFord:
I have no doubt that the classroom teaches all the mechanicals. I was curious how the different agencies ask you to mark tanks. I put three things on my tank. Blend Date, Mix, and MOD. The location of the sticker seems to be arbitrary, but one of the agencies I trained with teaches you to place it on the crown of the tank, just below your primary first stage. That way, when you put your reg(s) on, it's staring you in the face just in case for some reason you grabbed the wrong tank, or you are about to do something silly, like take that EAN36 tank for a 120ft dive. .

Date, O2 percentage and MOD ..just like I was taught too.

PerroneFord:
IANTD wants the Nitrox bands. I don't use them nor will I. Totally useless. Some people want initials on the tank (IANTD) but I either blend my own, or am standing there when they are blended, and I analyze on the spot. .

If my tanks were O2 cleaned then I'd put a band on to make it clear I don't want air in there. My local fills are pre-blended so I've no need for O2 clean (when filling at home. Filling away I get just air.) Of course for a "real" VIP they'd have to come off too.

PerroneFord:
I also tape off my valves when the tanks are filled. That way I know if they've been tampered with or compromised since they were filled. .
Tape keeps the muck and stuff out too.

PerroneFord:
Anyway, I was more curious about some things that you really only see if you are actually prepping for the dives.

I'm curious to hear if you're going to come up again for a beer and a NETburger? :D

I've put air in my 02 cleaned tanks. Rarely, but I have. But it's very CLEAN air. :)

The rest of that sounds good. The NETburger sounds great too.. but that's a 13 hour drive my friend. And there's no where to dive. How about you come HERE this time, and I'll treat you to some down home BarBQ and some diving.

PerroneFord:
I've put air in my 02 cleaned tanks. Rarely, but I have. But it's very CLEAN air. :)

The rest of that sounds good. The NETburger sounds great too.. but that's a 13 hour drive my friend. And there's no where to dive. How about you come HERE this time, and I'll treat you to some down home BarBQ and some diving.

Sounds tempting but I'll (probably) have left the US at the end of August. Back to Europe and drysuit diving.. :D

Come down before then. I'm diving every weekend in July.

cirwin:
Hi,

In another thread, someone mentioned that you can now get Nitrox certified without having to do any dives. Does anyone have more info about this? Is this done online or through a shop? I live in Long Beach, CA.

Thanks,

Chris

To my knowledge none of the major certifying agencies require check out dives for their Nitrox certification now.:D

PerroneFord:
This is part of a problem.

The tape DOES stick.. and quite well. I've got tape that's stayed on for weeks, and writing with the sharpie works fine. Do it for all my dives. But doing the dives shows this where classroom only training does not.

I have no doubt that the classroom teaches all the mechanicals. I was curious how the different agencies ask you to mark tanks. I put three things on my tank. Blend Date, Mix, and MOD. The location of the sticker seems to be arbitrary, but one of the agencies I trained with teaches you to place it on the crown of the tank, just below your primary first stage. That way, when you put your reg(s) on, it's staring you in the face just in case for some reason you grabbed the wrong tank, or you are about to do something silly, like take that EAN36 tank for a 120ft dive.

IANTD wants the Nitrox bands. I don't use them nor will I. Totally useless. Some people want initials on the tank (IANTD) but I either blend my own, or am standing there when they are blended, and I analyze on the spot.

I also tape off my valves when the tanks are filled. That way I know if they've been tampered with or compromised since they were filled.

Anyway, I was more curious about some things that you really only see if you are actually prepping for the dives.
You put the fill date on the tank? Just out of curiousity, what purpose does that accomplish? I mean, in a fill log, sure, but on the tank itself? How could the date matter?

I was taught to put EAX__ (o2 %), and MOD ___ on the tank in my TDI class. No dives required, although I did have to watch two tanks get filled, test the tanks (after calibrating the sensor), complete the log entries, and mark the tanks, so the only difference would have been jumping in the water and sucking on the tank. And some extra $$$.

dl348:
To my knowledge none of the major certifying agencies require check out dives for their Nitrox certification now.:D
As I understand it, PADI was the last one to give up the dives, and that was just a few months ago. There were some threads here on SB if anyone is curious, a search should turn them up.

Honestly, I write MOD in big bold letters and in tinny letters put in %. What is important at the dive site is the MOD and not much else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom