Nitrox Analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure that's a complete solution? I mean, if they have their air intake near a window and a car is idling outside, the well maintained system with current filter stacks is still going to hoover in the CO and pump it into your tank, right?
Isn't that what Hopcalite is for....to remove CO? And your example of the car idling is exactly what I'm talking about...so I guess we're on the same page.

I'm not sure that's a complete solution? I mean, if they have their air intake near a window and a car is idling outside, the well maintained system with current filter stacks is still going to hoover in the CO and pump it into your tank, right?
That's one risk. A modern, well tuned car with a catalytic converter doesn't release much CO, but then it doesn't take much. Lawnmowers are much more dangerous. There are many risks.

https://sensorcon-sensing-products-...on-monoxide-detector-meter?variant=4193480964

Isn't that what Hopcalite is for....to remove CO? And your example of the car idling is exactly what I'm talking about...so I guess we're on the same page.
It is, if doesn't reach capacity or have other issues. But then, a hot compressor burning it's on lubricating oil is probably a bigger risk. Without inline CO monitoring done correctly, there are too many risks, but then those inline monitors have been ignored in too many cases. There's nothing like testing your own tanks.

If people are still interested...I received the Sensorcon unit today and tried it out on a few tanks that I filled with my MCH6 (gas powered) and a few from my LDS that used a MCH13 (220V). I used the plastic bag method and received either a "zero" reading or a reading that bounced between Zero and 1ppm. I'm currently in the smoke and haze from the northern California wildfires and the air quality of ambient air measures 3ppm....so I figure it's a winner.

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times but all the information I keep coming across seems a little outdated (with certain recommendations on analyzers being so out of date that the company that used to make them is out of business).

Initially, most people recommended not to buy an o2 analyzer because the dive shop/boat will have one. However, I'm coming across more and more people (though still a minority by far) saying it's cheap insurance to carry your own. I'm still trying to decide if it's something I should get.

So with that said, I have a few questions:
1. How long does an O2 sensor last in this application and what is the typical average cost to replace? Trying to figure out what the cost per year might be for this piece of equipment.
2. What's a good end-all O2 analyzer you can recommend? I don't want a DIY kit and I want something that will last a long time and be easily serviceable. Ideally, it's easy to use and difficult to break/damage/use improperly. I'd like to be around or under $500.
3. Are there any O2 analyzers that will also analyze carbon monoxide? Is CO that big of a concern?
4. Do you have your own O2 analyzer? Why or why not?

Thanks all in advance!

NTJB.

I'll answer your questions in order:

Oxygen sensors can last up to 36-48 months depending on usage/high levels of oxygen exposure/storage.

I change batteries annually.

I own two, an AII Palm, Nuvair Quick-Stick (the new green model), both excellent products, easy access to support, simple to operate, both calibrate in ambient air, both 21 to 100%.

The Palm comes with a USB stick manual, case and inflator hose fitting are extra.The Quick Stick comes with a paper manual, and its own storage tube/wrist lanyard.

I do not own a CO analyzer, so I'll leave my response here.

Hope this helps.

Rose.

Palm 2.jpg
quick stick.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom