Nitrox Analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTJB

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times but all the information I keep coming across seems a little outdated (with certain recommendations on analyzers being so out of date that the company that used to make them is out of business).

Initially, most people recommended not to buy an o2 analyzer because the dive shop/boat will have one. However, I'm coming across more and more people (though still a minority by far) saying it's cheap insurance to carry your own. I'm still trying to decide if it's something I should get.

So with that said, I have a few questions:
1. How long does an O2 sensor last in this application and what is the typical average cost to replace? Trying to figure out what the cost per year might be for this piece of equipment.
2. What's a good end-all O2 analyzer you can recommend? I don't want a DIY kit and I want something that will last a long time and be easily serviceable. Ideally, it's easy to use and difficult to break/damage/use improperly. I'd like to be around or under $500.
3. Are there any O2 analyzers that will also analyze carbon monoxide? Is CO that big of a concern?
4. Do you have your own O2 analyzer? Why or why not?

Thanks all in advance!

I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times but all the information I keep coming across seems a little outdated (with certain recommendations on analyzers being so out of date that the company that used to make them is out of business).

Initially, most people recommended not to buy an o2 analyzer because the dive shop/boat will have one. However, I'm coming across more and more people (though still a minority by far) saying it's cheap insurance to carry your own. I'm still trying to decide if it's something I should get.

1. How long does an O2 sensor last in this application and what is the typical average cost to replace? Trying to figure out what the cost per year might be for this piece of equipment.
2. What's a good end-all O2 analyzer you can recommend? I don't want a DIY kit and I want something that will last a long time and be easily serviceable. Ideally, it's easy to use and difficult to break/damage/use improperly. I'd like to be around or under $500.
3. Are there any O2 analyzers that will also analyze carbon monoxide? Is CO that big of a concern?

Thanks all in advance!

This is what I currently use. Small rugged and come with an adapter to use off the BC inflator hose if your rig is already setup. Because we sometimes just top up tanks in the field it comes in handy. Also use it to check tanks when I am shore diving in the islands. Yes most shops have them but I just like to double check as it never hurts. As far as I know, CooTwo is no longer in business and they made a pretty good O2/CO analyzer. @DandyDon seems to be the go to CO guy.

upload_2020-3-3_15-6-50.jpeg

I got an MSA MiniOx 3000 on ebay (there are always dozens for sale) for $75.

The sensor it came with was old (Max 13), and I had to replace it, but they are plentiful. Maybe not the cheapest, around $65

It works great. They were used in medical and mining applications, so they're pretty reliable. Buying one without a sensor will probably get you the best deal.

Yep. I got mine after a weeklong trip to a dive resort that furnished some unknown analyzer that seemed questionable. It's been so long I don't remember the details, but I know I did not like it as much as the Analox I'd used elsewhere. I like to test my air tanks too as I have seen divers use Nitrox by mistake and many boats don't carry one.

I'd like to be around or under $500.
Easy enough. Here's the Analox for $269 Analox O2EII Pro Nitrox Analyzer or there are others.

Here's the sensor for $127 Analox Replacement 02 Sensor. If you get the saver for $17 Analox Sensor Saver Cap it can protect your sensor from unneeded exposure so it lasts for years depending on how many trips & dives you do. I figured that I'd lose the other part without a box to keep it all together, so instead, I got an airtight & water-resistant box. There are many choices on such boxes.

3. Are there any O2 analyzers that will also analyze carbon monoxide?
Not now. DAN and the agencies are still avoiding the importance of tank testing for CO as that'd be bad for business, so the demand has not supported the market.

Is CO that big of a concern?
It's more important than the O2 tester to me. Back when PADI required that shops send samples to recognized testing labs, 3% failed and most of those horribly - even tho the shops could take samples only when the compressors at their best. CO deaths are easily hidden in the industry, written off as drownings, etc. and without timely post mortem testing, we really don't know how many diver deaths or even cases of "travelers flu" were actually caused by CO.

The required testing was never enforced tho, and even it has been discontinued as a requirement so no one is doing much to protect against CO hits and deaths. I choose to protect myself.

@DandyDon seems to be the go to CO guy.
Most vocal perhaps. I'm no expert, but I know enough to be insulted by the failures of DAN, the agencies, and the dive destinations, so I work at the risk more than some. Many others just consider it an accepted risk to guard against.

Yep. I got mine after a weeklong trip to a dive resort that furnished some unknown analyzer that seemed questionable. It's been so long I don't remember the details, but I know I did not like it as much as the Analox I'd used elsewhere. I like to test my air tanks too as I have seen divers use Nitrox by mistake and many boats don't carry one.

Easy enough. Here's the Analox for $269 Analox O2EII Pro Nitrox Analyzer or there are others.

Here's the sensor for $127 Analox Replacement 02 Sensor. If you get the saver for $17 Analox Sensor Saver Cap it can protect your sensor from unneeded exposure so it lasts for years depending on how many trips & dives you do. I figured that I'd lose the other part without a box to keep it all together, so instead, I got an airtight & water-resistant box. There are many choices on such boxes.

Not now. DAN and the agencies are still avoiding the importance of tank testing for CO as that'd be bad for business, so the demand has not supported the market.

It's more important than the O2 tester to me. Back when PADI required that shops send samples to recognized testing labs, 3% failed and most of those horribly - even tho the shops could take samples only when the compressors at their best. CO deaths are easily hidden in the industry, written off as drownings, etc. and without timely post mortem testing, we really don't know how many diver deaths or even cases of "travelers flu" were actually caused by CO.

The required testing was never enforced tho, and even it has been discontinued as a requirement so no one is doing much to protect against CO hits and deaths. I choose to protect myself.

Most vocal perhaps. I'm no expert, but I know enough to be insulted by the failures of DAN, the agencies, and the dive destinations, so I work at the risk more than some. Many others just consider it an accepted risk to guard against.

So if CO is such a concern, what would be a good analyser to use to test for that? o_O

The CO version of the Palm analyzer pictured in Post #2 above.

Palm CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer | Dive Gear Express®
It looks good to me. You'd want to read more at that site about how it works, how it calibrates, and the longterm costs of keeping viable.

The cheapest approach is the Portable Carbon Monoxide Detector Meter (CO Inspector) used with heavy duty gallon ziplock bags. I am not going to have mine recalibrated as often as needed for accurate measurements in the PPM range. Think about what a PPM is, 0.0001%! I have it refurbished by the supplier every two years, new sensor & battery, and allow for drift. I use it in my car, hotel rooms, etc. as well as one of my tank testers, but even when new it's not going to be accurate as using a bag is a little clumsy and you will suck in some ambient air. It's an economical first indicator. You have to pack extra bags too as they don't last. Blowing tank air directly into the unit is not accurate as pressure throws it off.

there is a cheaper option now for O2 sensor replacement :OxyCheq - AST-40D Oxygen Sensor

Thanks all in advance!

O2 sensors should last a couple years unless they are used frequently and exposed to harsh environments. They can last much longer (5 years maybe) if used unfrequently, capped when not in use and not exposed to heat and sunlight.

I have this one. Cheap and disposable when it fails

Maxtec

I bought my own because I have my own tanks and like to check before I dive to make sure it was labeled right

If I didn't have my own tanks, and trusted my dive shop analyzer, I wouldn't buy one.

Talk to the shop you rent and get fills from. Do they bank, use a stick or blend. Ask how often they CO test

Ask how often they CO test
If not in the last few minutes, the answer is irrelevant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom