Nitek 3 its expensive but GREAT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
By avoiding deep air...
To help this uneducated one, is using the appropriate nitrox mix (aka EAN22 or higher) included in your definition of deep air?

Hey Mike,

IMO, if you get beyond 100' or so, it's better to be on a 30/30 trimix for both narcosis, breathability, and decompression. It's quite debatable whether or not nitrox is doing anything as far as reducing narcosis is concerned. One thing is for certain, when you get past 100'-130' on air or so, it just isn't particulary good for you in any way.

Mike

LY ----

Breathability....

This is the first I recall this adjective applied to trimix. Can you elaborate a bit more?

Also, what is a typical profile for you?

Thanks!

Trimix is less dense than air, so it's easier to breath. Why is this important? CO2 narcosis. Everyone knows that nitrogen narcosis is one of many dangers of deep air. However, one of the most ignored dangers by deep air agencies is CO2 narcosis. CO2 is on the order of 12 times as narcotic as nitrogen. If you have to breath hard (like if things going wrong on a dive) on a relatively dense mix (air), then you can get a pretty good dose of CO2. Trimix helps eliminate this potential danger due to its lower density.

One other thing that's kinda relevant is that due to it's decreased density and therefore increased breathability, you can actually decrease the IP on your regs. This will increase their reliability (especially in cold water) and you still have sweat breathing regs.

Typical profiles for me has been in the neighborhood of 200' with total dive times less than 90mins or so. This summer we'll spend more time in the 200'-270' range. There is a wreck or two in the 300' range I might get to one of these days, but I don't have much desire to go beyond 300'. Of course I'm up for the Fitz if anyone wants to come up and do it :wink: :D.

:)

Mike

Hey Lost Yooper,

I'm a brave man but you would have to have balls of iron to do the fitzgerald:D

300 feet is pretty much enough me...leared how to mix dive just incase they will let us dive the Hamilton and the Scourage:)

l8ter

NINJA

Ooops, that's a typo. Thanks UP.

I think the Fits is a bit out of my range :wink:. There has been a couple guys who used OC to get to it though.

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Ooops, that's a typo. Thanks UP.

I think the Fits is a bit out of my range :wink:. There has been a couple guys who used OC to get to it though.

Mike
Wow...some people have actually got all the way down to the Fitzgerald on SCUBA? Is there any documentation or pics anywhere of this?

Supposedly a couple of guys did it - something like 525ffw - on open circuit and shot some film that was included in a video. Don't really know much about it except that, if it's true, they swing a whole lot lower than I do. Pun intended.

No, there isn't any documentation that I know of, but they may have taken some pics of it. A buddy of mine was the charter captain for the dive, though. Pretty wild day of diving according to him. That's getting pretty deep.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom