Question Night Diving - requirements, insurance coverage, WRSTC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah so. I guess a lot of us thought you were an OW diver asking if a DM could take you on a night dive without you having done a night dive certificate. That was my initial thought but shows I was incorrect. Great you want to go on to be a DM Are you doing that so you can go on to be an instructor? Glad your question has been resolved. This has been a good Q&A thread.

I have lead dives outside of a commercial environment when diving with friends both day and night. My friends have also led dives. In Taiwan a lot of divers here just rent tanks and go on their own shore dive trips around Taiwan.
Perhaps I should have stated that in my original message. I am actually an Assistant Instructor at the current moment and will soon be going for Instructor. My favorite dives so far have always been at night.

The dive-shop I sometimes dive guide for do not allow their DM to do Night Dives with other divers that do not have their night & limited visibility specialty. Didn't get a clear answer for why that was, so decided to ask here and DAN/SSI myself. Don't get me wrong, I like the dive-shop and understand their decision. I was just curious on how the rules apply.

Since I started this thread, a lot of things have become more clear to me. Also when I now read the learning material. I was always under the impression that an OW diver is only allowed to go 18 meters, but that is clearly not the case. An OW diver is trained to go 18 meters. I however still advice people to dive within their training limits.

Perhaps I should have stated that in my original message. I am actually an Assistant Instructor at the current moment and will soon be going for Instructor. My favorite dives so far have always been at night.

The dive-shop I sometimes dive guide for do not allow their DM to do Night Dives with other divers that do not have their night & limited visibility specialty. Didn't get a clear answer for why that was, so decided to ask here and DAN/SSI myself. Don't get me wrong, I like the dive-shop and understand their decision. I was just curious on how the rules apply.

Since I started this thread, a lot of things have become more clear to me. Also when I now read the learning material. I was always under the impression that an OW diver is only allowed to go 18 meters, but that is clearly not the case. An OW diver is trained to go 18 meters. I however still advice people to dive within their training limits.

So your shop would not take me on a night dive without a specialty cert even though I have done hundreds of night dives?

just posted today on scuba divers uncenscored

Raphael Zalewski shared a video.​

29t Mair0pcoh at66 n23:5s37or37d ·

Proud papa moment…my newly minted 11yr old JR OW doing the Kona manta campfire dive.
First “post certification” dive for her. Pretty sure I’ve ruined all expectations for future dives.

Back
Top Bottom