Night dive on the GROVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not have a 100% answer, but I do have more info.

Cost = $360 for 6 divers (max).

Verifiable proof of experience required.

Do either of you (Padipro/Bluewaterdiving) want to do a daytime dive as well, if so :
1. Grove or Bibb?
2. Wed AM or Thur AM? (assuming Wed Night Grove)

I think it would be great to dive the Grove Wed AM, get a good SI then go back and do it again that night.

Now if we can find 3 more people with the experience to do this dive we can probably confirm things this week.

Apparently this is NOT a common thing. I believe this should be an awsome dive.

The price sound good to me. If we do a Wednesday night dive on the Grove I'd rather do an AM dive on the Grove Thursday morning so we can spend as much time on the Grove Wednesday night as possible. No residual nitrogen to worry about.

The one guy I know here in South Florida has to work that week so he's out but I should hear from the guy that owns the dive shop sometime today or tomorrow. If he doesn't call me today I'll call him tomorrow morning and see if he and any of his staff are interested.

I KNOW this would be an awsome dive, hopefully we can get enough people together to do it.

I'll post something as soon as I know if these guys are going to be able to go.

Scott

The price is good I may have a diver or two I would like to do a AM dive the next day too. ? Is everybody going to use doubles? Because I have a diver or two that don't have them. But they have the tme in the water and do have lp 95s.

I do not have or use doubles.

I will be using either a LP98 (if I can get a good 'cave' fill) or a HP120 as well as taking a 19cf pony. I plan on using 30% Nitrox.
I generally approach my NDL with 120cf/30%.

Brent usually puts a Hang tank (al80 w/air) on the rope @ 15' when doing deep dives.

I just got off the phone with the guys from the dive shop and none of them can make it. DAMN! I thought for sure that at least one of them would make it. I have one more option with a local dive shop but I wouldn't count on that.

If everything still goes as planned I'm bringing my double AL90's, my 40cuft stage and most likely my HP100's as well, just incase I can't get a fill before the next mornings dive. 30% sounds like a good mix for the night dive, no need to go all the way to the sand.

I'll keep you posted on the results of the local shop.

Scott

I will try to get some of them to go. Where are you staying? I'm going to start looking.

BlueWaterDiving once bubbled...
I will try to get some of them to go. Where are you staying? I'm going to start looking.

I'm not sure where I'd stay yet. I need to look at the dive shops website and see what hotels are near by. I'm not one for the fancy stuff, a bed and shower is all I need. Are you interested in splitting a room with two beds?

Let me know.

Scott

The Boat is at MM100 right between the Holiday Inn & the Ramada.

Any chance you guys would consider doing a Wed AM on the Grove then a Wed Night dive. We would have 6-8 hour Surface Interval so Nitrogen buildup is really not an issue.

Apparently this trip is a little more "out there" than I thought.
Most places won't even discuss it & Blue Water Divers are "concerned".

Brent said they would be much more comfortable if everyone did the dive in the daylight first, then the Night dive. This allows them to "pre-qualify" everyone & for us to plan a good safe night dive.

Let me know your thoughts. Man, I didn't know I would stir up so much S***, when I suggested this. I figured it was done on a regular basis.

Any luck on rouding out our team of six? I have a guy I can call but didn't want to get too many people committed.

Any other Lurkers out there interested. Experience in Deep/Wreck & night dives is required. Its going to be one that gets talked about for months...

It's the Keys man. They arn't used to anything but tourists, ya know the type, only dive once a year on their vacation. I've been down there and had the worst time because they have so many rules and are so scared that someone is going to get hurt. Even after showing them my Instructor C card, my dive log, and drivers license with a local address they still wanted me to take a snorkel on a wreck dive, "just to be safe". Oh well it their boat I guess they can do what they want, but it's not best place to dive in South Florida.

Here's the latest scoop from my end. I talked to my Instructor friend that ownes the dive shop in South Carolina, he now says that he's sure he can find a few people that will go and says he'll contact me tomorrow and let me know. In between no one going yesterday and everyone going today I also talked to some of the people at a local dive shop where I know nearly everyone and several seemed to be very interested and even went so far as to check and make sure they had the days off. So now I'm back to a bunch of maybes. I'll keep ya posted.

You said that the boat would hold something like 18 people in your original post but in a later post you said 6 people MAX for this night dive. Was the MAX a typo? Should it have been MIN as in at least 6 people? Just wondering why they told you 6 MAX if their boat holds more? Seems to me the more that go the more profit they make and happier they are. Now that I've talked to so many people and we only need 3 more from the way it sounds I just don't want to get to many and have to turn some away.

As for the AM dive on the 10th: If that makes them more comfortable what the hell, lets do it. It really doesn't make any differance to me except that it's going to be a long day for some of us. We'd need to leave about 4 AM or so to get down there in time to make the AM trip and then we'd have to be back later on that day for the night dive.

I'm sure that the AM trip will be a 2 tank trip but is the night dive a 2 tank dive as well?

I'll keep ya posted.

Scott

HarleyDiver once bubbled... SNIP... Apparently this trip is a little more "out there" than I thought.
Most places won't even discuss it & Blue Water Divers are "concerned"... [/B]
Absurd - we've done several dives on the Grove and it was Marvel's FIRST dive after her final OW certification dive. True, there is usually a strong surface current and penetration isn't for everybody, but really...:rolleyes:

I wish we could join you, but we're finally busy at work (that means $$ to me). Besides, with all the concerns I guess you guys are planning to penetrate pretty far. I've been down an ouside corridor and deep into the well deck, but am not qualified to go any further.

Have a blast, and *don't worry* so much lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom