Night dive on the GROVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarleyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife & I will be in Key Largo the week of Sept 8-12.
She just got certified & we will be doing shallow reef dives every afternoon.

However I am trying to put together a Night dive on the Grove and a Morning dive on the Bibb. I need 1-3 more qualified divers to reserve the boat.

These are Deep wrecks, with strong currents possible. I will be using 28-30% Nitrox.

Anyone interested ? If so what days/nights?

We will be diving with Bluewater Divers.

ps.
No Harleyburgers, but I will buy the first round at The Fish House.:D

Just did a pair day dives on the SG Saturday with Ocean Divers and reef dive that evening...nite dive would be awesome on the SG

Dove the Duane Sunday...Flooded Stephen Frink's strobe on that dive...sooo embarrassed...Tried to make a good impression on him with my photography

Joe

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
My wife & I will be in Key Largo the week of Sept 8-12.
She just got certified & we will be doing shallow reef dives every afternoon.

However I am trying to put together a Night dive on the Grove...

If your wife "just got certified" you might consider something a bit less challenging than the two wrecks you have named. Both have reputations for strong currents in deep water especially if she just certified OW and putting a night dive on top of all of that sends up several warning flags in my book. Has she ever done a night dive before? Has she ever been over 60 feet before? 100? Has she ever dove in current? Strong current?

My wife had about 15 dives and was AOW certified when she dove the Thunderbolt. That wreck was at the very edge of her comfort zone is what she told us when we were done. There was VERY little current, and decent viz, and it was still pushing the limit.

Just a thought.

I could be wrong (certainly wouldn't be the first time!) but the way I read it, he was looking to supplement the shallow dives he'd be doing with his wife - I didn't get the feeling that she was planning to do the wrecks.

:confused:

Knavey, you misunderstood.

My wife & I will be doing shallow reefs each afternoon. That is all that she will dive. I appreciate your concern, but believe me, I will never push her beyond her limits.

I don't expect her to do a night dive or a deep dive until next year sometime, and then she will do it with an instructor first.

I am looking for someone else to dive with for the dives I want to do that she cannot do.

I enjoy wreck penetration, and I like to keep my skills up. So I am trying to find at least a buddy if not a small team of divers qualified for deep wrecks who might like to try a night dive on the Grove as well as a Daylight penetration on the Bibb.

I have done the Grove & Duane several times each, but not at night (yet). I have also been told the Bibb is a little more challenging than the Duane and requires a slightly deeper profile.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
Knavey, you misunderstood.

My wife & I will be doing shallow reefs each afternoon. That is all that she will dive. I appreciate your concern, but believe me, I will never push her beyond her limits.

I don't expect her to do a night dive or a deep dive until next year sometime, and then she will do it with an instructor first.

I am looking for someone else to dive with for the dives I want to do that she cannot do.

I enjoy wreck penetration, and I like to keep my skills up. So I am trying to find at least a buddy if not a small team of divers qualified for deep wrecks who might like to try a night dive on the Grove as well as a Daylight penetration on the Bibb.

I have done the Grove & Duane several times each, but not at night (yet). I have also been told the Bibb is a little more challenging than the Duane and requires a slightly deeper profile.

Sorry about the misunderstanding...wanted to throw a little caution into the wind just in case.

Sounds like you are going to have a great time. A bit out of my league, but perhaps one day with the proper training, I would be able to take you up on the penetration dives.

I commend you for having your wife certify. Cindy and I plan our vacations around dive trips now...thats the ONLY way to go!

I can be there Tuesday the 9th, Wednesday the 10th, or Thursday the 11th. I've dove the Grove once before and would love to do a night dive on it.

I'm a PADI Instructor with 500 dives, I live here in South Florida, I'm Nitrox, Deep and Wreck certified so the qualifications aren't a problem. I'd most likely bring my doubles because of the depth and the possibility of penitrating the wreck.

Let me know if you can set anything up for one of those days/nights and I'll talk to some other divers around here that I know and see if anyone else might be interested. If you know the price for the charter per person and maybe a hotel near by to crash at for the night that would be helpful too.

Scott

I will talk with Brent at Bluewater & see when we can go, Its early enough we can probably pick any night. I will also ask him for prices. There Web site quotes $50 for a night dive.

You can book a nice place at the Best Western by calling Horizen divers 800-984-3483. its $79 for a apt with Living room/kit bath downstairs & a Bedroom/bath upstairs (Sofa bed in Living room).

There is also a Ramada & Holiday inn right there at MM100. I believe they are $80-90.

Are you also up for the Bibb the next Morning or just the Grove?

Glad I found this thread.

I didn't know night dives were available on the Grove. I'm looking at a trip to Key Largo around DEMA with the express purpose of diving the Grove.

Any operators you can suggest? Any to avoid?

On previous trips I used Silent World (liked them, but not real personalized for advanced divers) and Sea Dwellers (moo).

Thanks.

Night dives on the Grove are not usually schedualed to the best of my knowledge. Most of the Big guys won't run without a dozen or more people.

I highly recommend Bluewater Divers at MM100:

http://www.bluewaterdiver.net/

They have a boat that is legal for 18, won't take more than 10, & will go with 4 (sometimes less). They even took me out Solo once when the other guy canx. They are great guys.

They are very flexible on arranging special trips. That's why I am soliciting people for this dive. If I can get 2 or 3 people we can put together a realy awsome trip. I am dying to see the grove at night.

When is this DEMA thing you mentioned (or what is it for that matter?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom