Next Travel Destination.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Staal

Registered
Reaction score
Although subjective - i still would like your personal feedback. I am from South Africa and naturally dive the indian ocean - Mozambique - South Africa coastline, did the Red Sea 7 times north and south, Dived Sipadan few times. Bali twice. In the above context where would a great great dive destination be next. Coral, variety, big animals, macro .. 1: Maldives Liveaboard is incredibly expensive for our currency - is landbased an option and where. 2. What about Christmas island - i have been told it is better than Sipadan, small operation? 3.Cocos reef life good or only hammerheads schools - we have enough sharks. 4. Great BReef? Where specific. 5. Raja? Any suggestion welcome. Much appreciated.

Please explain how Cocos, Raja, GBR are an option, financially, but the Maldives (which are in the affordable end of the Liveaboard scale) are not? I can quite easily find liveaboards in the Maldives for a lot less than I paid for a week of resort diving in R4 and a much lower daily cost than our 3 day GBR Liveaboard....

I haven't dive a lot but have been lucky enough to have dived some beautiful places. Raja was our favorite so far (resort based, 2000 euros for a week of unlimited diving all inclusive, but ex flights), and the ribbon reefs at the GBR were also worth it. Enjoyed the few dives on the Galapagos, which in terms of waters should be similar-ish to Cocos - fairly cold, Sharks, lovely, but no beautiful colorful reefs. Pelagics are name of the game.

Please explain how Cocos, Raja, GBR are an option, financially, but the Maldives (which are in the affordable end of the Liveaboard scale) are not? I can quite easily find liveaboards in the Maldives for a lot less than I paid for a week of resort diving in R4 and a much lower daily cost than our 3 day GBR Liveaboard....

I haven't dive a lot but have been lucky enough to have dived some beautiful places. Raja was our favorite so far (resort based, 2000 euros for a week of unlimited diving all inclusive, but ex flights), and the ribbon reefs at the GBR were also worth it. Enjoyed the few dives on the Galapagos, which in terms of waters should be similar-ish to Cocos - fairly cold, Sharks, lovely, but no beautiful colorful reefs. Pelagics are name of the game.

Explain? The quotes i received where just more expensive - but confirmed by you that i can get better rates means that i will have to do my homework better. Thanks anyhow mattia, i will dig in.

Hi there!
Out of all the options you mention, Maldives liveaboards are definitely among the cheapest. Liveaboard trips in the Maldives start from about $250 per person per day, which includes 3 or even 4 dives. In fact, if you take food and accommodation into consideration, a luxury liveaboard is pretty much on par in price to a lesser quality Maldives resort (not even a 5*). Except the diving is definitely more spectacular when on a liveaboard.
The best time to dive in the Maldives is from January to March. You can find more ideas and offers from about 30 liveaboards here, broken down by categories or budgets.
Hope this helps?
Happy diving from the Divebooker team

Hi there!
Out of all the options you mention, Maldives liveaboards are definitely among the cheapest. Liveaboard trips in the Maldives start from about $250 per person per day, which includes 3 or even 4 dives. In fact, if you take food and accommodation into consideration, a luxury liveaboard is pretty much on par in price to a lesser quality Maldives resort (not even a 5*). Except the diving is definitely more spectacular when on a liveaboard.
The best time to dive in the Maldives is from January to March. You can find more ideas and offers from about 30 liveaboards here, broken down by categories or budgets.
Hope this helps?
Happy diving from the Divebooker team
Will have a look immerdiately - thanks

I agree with everything you say. Maldives, take a liveboard. Cheaper and better than most resorts.
+ It should be rather easy to reach from South Africa. Other alternative is liveboard South Soudan.

One question to you MAttia. Galapagos. What time of the year did you go and what temperature? Swimsuit: dry, semi dry, wet 5, 7mm?

....Galapagos. What time of the year did you go and what temperature? Swimsuit: dry, semi dry, wet 5, 7mm?

Everyone's needs for thermal insulation are different.

Galapagos water temps vary depending on which end of the islands you dive, certainly by season. Look for 75-80°F (21-27C)

In that many Europeans are smart enough to dive "land based" (at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of liveaboard) versus being convinced by advertisers that there is but only one way to see the islands- that can also affect the equation.

(BTW- I like both ways, but after 10+ liveaboards there, I'm liking the land based option just fine)

A much better question- what are the water temps by season?

From that point of information, you must decide, with your past logged experience as a basis. This is but just one of the reasons that the area is considered "advanced diving". You need some prior experience, in a lot of ways.

Hi Doc. The period would be November.

In terms of experience, I have dived almost everywhere but I do not like cold water :(.

In my book, 75°F equals to almost 24°C. This is NOT cold for my standard. I was thinking more down to less than 20°C.

We only did a few land based day boat dives in the Galapagos, in July, and it was chilly with a 5mm after about 40 minutes. Had about 25 dives each at the time, if that, and Gordon's rocks was my most terrifying dive to date (stress, loss of buddy/group, hyperventilating way through a tank in 15 min...) but an important learning experience.

Would go back, and want to go back again when I have yet more dives. I hit 80 in Indo last month, and starting to feel a bit less like a total newb.

thank you mattia. You are right and brave: 25 dives on the logbook and the Galapagos.:eek: This is certainly a ticket for a few wild rides :).

Back
Top Bottom