Newly certified, mares x-stream fins recommended - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a pair of X-streams and sold them again after four or five dives. I did not like the feel of the click when they bent at the hinge.

I spoke with my friend's local instructor, and although i haven't tried them in water i think I'm going with the mares quattro plus. As for the x-streams, I was suspicious of the lifespan of the hinge and reports of the center channel seperating from the colored portion of the blade. I appreciate everyone's responses!

Sent from my SM-T807P using Tapatalk

I spoke with my friend's local instructor, and although i haven't tried them in water i think I'm going with the mares quattro plus. As for the x-streams, I was suspicious of the lifespan of the hinge and reports of the center channel seperating from the colored portion of the blade. I appreciate everyone's responses!

A wise decision IMO. Hope you like the Mares Quattros they are a very good all round fin.

I see this fin worn by a lot of instructors although I have never tried one. Must be something to them for them to be so popular all around. I am considering getting my wife a pair for an upcoming trip.

I don't feel a funny click from my Mares Extremes.

I just wanted to follow up with my experience using the quattro plus fins, which were the fins I purchased. I'm very happy with them. They are long, so i travelled with them in my checked baggage where they fit easily and straight. I used them in Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. They felt effortless, and returned greater than expedcted propulsion for each kick. I found i had to really lay off when kicking as opposed to what i needed with the training fins i used in OWC course (forgot make/model of those fins, but they felt floppy). The relaxed kicking with the quattro + fins was great for air consumption. At one point in Cozumel the DM jetted ahead so my buddy and I turned it up to follow him. Fins were great, excellent speed, moderate effort and i definitely didn't feel I was overpowering the fins - they were strong and responsive. Bearing in mind I'm very new, I think these fins are fantastic.

Thanks for the follow up. Glad they worked out well for you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom