Newly certified looking for divers in Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lespaulsf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi

My wife and I as newly certified divers. We are looking for people to dive with. When do you all dive and is there anything coming up around the Tulsa OK area?

I guess this is the wrong forum or something or this forum is not very active. Anyone have any advice on finding people to dive with?

Nope, not too active around here this time of year.

Beaver Lake is just on the other side of Rogers, Arkansas. Probably two or two and half hours from Tulsa, IIRC. Nice little dive site just on the south side of the dam off 187 (maps.google.com link) with a good shore entry, parking, etc. And there are nicer dive sites through the flooded forests off the loop of Indian Creek road just to the north when you are ready. Tow a dive flag because of boat traffic. (Good advice for any lake diving within driving distance of where you are, BTW.) C&J Sports is just south of the dam and has reasonable air fills (though they don't do nitrox).

The last handful of years the DUI drysuit people held their DOG (drysuit owner's group) rally at that site, I see that they've moved it this year to Table Rock at the Dewey Short Dam Site on April 25th-26th (weekend after next). Here's a link to their flyer. A fun chance to get someone to show you what drysuits are all about, and a way to meet other local divers even if you aren't interested in buying a drysuit at this time (or aren't interested in the DUI stuff). Highly recommended for new divers, IMO. You'll get a mini-class on drysuits and do a little tour with an instructor or divemaster. If you go, be sure to arrive early.

Finally, I know some people from OK hang out at MidwestMuckDiving.com which might be another way to meet local divers.

Good luck!

John_B

I dive at Oronogo quite a bit. You two are more than welcome to dive with us. Just let me know when you might be able to make it up. I generally work every other weekend, but spend a lot of time there. Hope to see you there!

DW

HI Dark Wolf!

We go up to Joplin quite a bit. I just found out from this board about Oronogo sounds pretty cool. We only have the bare essentials as far as gear goes. (ie fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit). Whats the temp and vis like at Oronogo this time of year?

Oronogo is spring fed, so it is a pretty constant 50 degrees below about 20-30 feet. Vis was about 10-15 or so last weekend, depending on where you were. Fun place to dive, though.

DW

Back
Top Bottom