Newly certified looking for divers in Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be forewarned about the looks of the place... not the fanciest. I know some people that have been a little leary based on looks, including my own son... he is wanting to get certified, and is looking for the place that he feels most comfortable with. They know what they are doing there and are friendly tho.
Not sure about putting the 6mm over your 3 though... that doesn't sound like fun! I get all the fun I can stand just getting one wetsuit on! :)

I'm not to worried about a little rustic, although I appreciate the heads up. When we actually got certified we had to wear 2 3mm suits because the temp was bout 64.

Sounds good, lespaul. John and Regina have been doing a great deal of work. Things are looking better. They are also in the process of trying a couple of methods of clearing the water up a bit. Look forward to seeing you all out there.

DW

I'm not to worried about a little rustic, although I appreciate the heads up.
When I hear the word "rustic" I like to differentiate between a "good rustic" and a "not so good rustic". When I was last there a few years back I would've been more likely to use the term "dump" (as in "junkyard"). A friend went a few weeks ago and said that while they were making great strides, there was still a long way to go.

The last time I was there we had a strange exchange with the proprietor. Enough people have had positive experiences that I've since written it off as a bad day. OTOH, for my gas money Tablerock, Beaver, or Bull Shoals make better dives. YMMV.

Welcome to the board! I havent been to the meetups yet as I work alot of evenings but they have a great bunch of people from what I hear. I know a couple of members there one of which helped teach my class and I could not recommend better dive partners then him and his wife.

Good luck and happy diving!

Yes, there is still a ways to go but they are doing very well. I must admit that the first time I was there about 2 years ago I was a bit concerned, but they have since done a lot of work. Both inside the shop and out. Last year, due to all the rain I dove Oronogo a lot. Had an occasional trip to Stockton Lake, but other than that I was at Captain Johns until we started making trips to Table Rock in December.

We will make some other local trips this year, but being a single dad I have to maximize dollars spent to get the most time in the water.

Our next dive club get-together will be July 4 weekend at Oronogo. We are looking at a possible treasure hung, bbq, etc. I will post more soon about the event. Our event in February went very well. We had 25-30 divers from 5 states in attendance. Was a great turn out considering that air temps were in the mid twenties and it was snowing like mad!

DW

Hmmm well I guess what can you expect since it was once a mining shaft. So it sounds like it might be like a lake in a since with a some junk scattered around. Any case I will most likley need a thicker wetsuit because from oronogo website it says temps are 40-45 below 30 feet. But I hear the water is a greenish blue and viz is usually pretty good.

I hear you Dark wolf diving on a budget within our means is normally the best option. Just like anything we can speed alot of money to get the best gear, go to the best place, sometimes we have to make do. For me especially it's all about getting some bottom time so any place will do. (within reason)

Made two dives yesterday. First dive was with a buddy who was trying out his double 119's for the first time. We went down the hundred foot line and swam over to the Cabin Cruiser. Then took a general tour of the quarry to breathe tanks down (a little). Max depth was 100' with a run time of 25 minutes. Second dive was solo due to the weather and people leaving. I went back down the 100' line and to the Cabin Cruiser. Was just getting more comfortable in the new gear that I put together. Max depth on that dive was 99', with a run time of 28 minutes. Both dives were good dives. Vis was 10-15' depending on where you were, and temp was a pretty constant 50 degrees. Maybe 51 at the surface, but 50 at 100'.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom