Newly certified headed home to Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam Wright

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Was just certified OW PADI this month in Maui. I have 8 logged dives. I purchased a complete second hand kit and excited to dive back home.

I’ve got my eye on AOW and deep dive when I get home but need wetsuit for the colder Pacific Northwest waters. Also looking for dive buddies for spear fishing and crabbing.

Welcome, this is a great forum and there's lots to learn here.

what shops in the Portland area do you prefere? I’ve been in Maui for 4 months for work and never really had an opportunity to get certified until now.

Welcome to SB and the awesome world of diving.

If you're looking for a wetsuit consider getting a semi-dry. I'm in Monterey Bay every weekend with mine and it's worked out fine for me. I only got cold just recently but that was 70minutes into the dive and I wasn't moving around much.

Have fun doing your deep dives, they are lots of fun. When I did mine the instructor brought a raw egg to demonstrate the effects of pressure. It was pretty cool and I got it on video.

I need to rent one to figure out what thickness I need. We did two night dives and down to 78’ in just swim trunks and a T-shirt and never got cold.

I need to rent one to figure out what thickness I need. We did two night dives and down to 78’ in just swim trunks and a T-shirt and never got cold.

Yeah, you'll die from hypothermia if you try that in the Pacific Ocean off Oregon. My semi-dry is 7/8mm. If your local dive shop rents semi-dry suits I would totally try it.

Have fun!

I wouldn’t try it in the pacific but I don’t want to buy a 7/8 mm and overheat and not be able to use it. I have a naturally well regulated body temperature.

Welcome. I too bought almost all my stuff used when taking OW and most of it lasted a long time, a couple of things still in use after 14 years. I use a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit. Our summer water temps. here usually hit around 65, winter 40F or lower, so winter dives are limited to once daily. I know your temps. are in a much narrower range. Obviously a drysuit is best--I never got one because we usually snowbird to Florida. Not this year, yikes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom