Newly certified diver OOA at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I'll ever be prepared. I didn't witness the incident underwater, only on the surface when they towed her in. From the medical aspect - I think I can handle it well. From a DM or buddy assist side, I don't think anyone is prepared.

For now, I just want to get offer for advices from experienced instructors and divers.

Well reading this I think some of the comments could have been made in a less offputting way. I appreciate your honesty and have gained from your experience which I believe was your intent. You guys have certainly convinced me that I don't want to become a DM!
I am always happy to see TS&M and netdoctor turn up and clear things up

As a DMC myself, I use this board as a learning tool and can appreciate fisherdvm wanting to learn form his experiences. Some of you have indeed kicked the crap out of him and if you haven't had been through the program a simple "zip it" should be in order. I finished my second intern yesterday.What an eye opening experience it is to work with new students. I have made mistakes in situations that were unexpected. I discussed it with my instructor after the fact and now know what to do in the future. Until you experience it first hand it is hard to say how you will react. The bottom line is, you have to make a decision and act on it. Maybe there is a better decision but doing something is better than not doing anything.

Just the fact that we can see disagreements on how to handle a situation, shows you that there may not be a definitive answer to any given situation. And these disagreements are after the fact, arm chair quarterbacking. An actual emergency is a whole lot different than reading a scenario on Scuba Board and then deciding how you would handle it. I too am becoming a DM only to be a better diver and I applaud the OP for wanting to learn even if it is from his mistakes,
(not that he made a bad decision).

Bruce

The physics of that always fascinated me. But we seem to get conflicting opinions. I wish I can PM Vance Harlow, the author of scuba maintenance and repair on it.

Some say, that few extra breaths comes from the tank. Some say, it is the expanding air coming from the hoses.

I wish there is a safe way to test it. Take a tank down to 100 ft, breath it till it dry. Go up to 20 feet, breath it again, and then count the breath. Or simply, go to the surface and count the breaths.

Why can't someone do this and let us know. But the report from folks who have experienced this say it does happen, and you do get a few more breaths on the way up.

DISCLAIMER: Don't try this at home. :11:

In the early 80's I was living and working on Roatan and we would go out to a local dive op just off of French Harbour and "borrow" all thier partially filled tanks from the previous dive trips to "bounce" on the wall. No BC, no gauges... Just a tank, regulator and backpack. When the tank got hard to breathe it was time to ascend. You would get 2 or 3 breaths each time going up. This was from 80 -100'.

I was young and dumb. But it was fun.

P.S.- Someone mentioned you couldn't stop a panicked diver from ascending. I watched a little 5'1" 110# female Dive Instructor go horizontal and bring a big guy (at least 6' and over 200#)who was trying to bolt to a dead stop, then ram her secondary in his mouth (while hitting the purge to keep it clear) and then calm him and continue with the excercise. He was practicing buddy share with me and she was so fast I never had time to react. He was down from NY doing his PADI checkout in Lucaya.

Last edited:
When you are OOA, you're not really OOA. The reg needs at least IP (135-150psi) to deliver air. Depth will affect this too, increasing it a bit. So you can be "OOA" with a couple of hundred psi in your tank. (Which is another reason why we advise divers to arrive at the surface with 300-500psi.)

I snipped most of your very helpful post, but this part was confusing to me.

My experience is that the regulator will actively deliver air as long as the tank pressure is above ambient. The IP of the regulator matters only in terms of achieving full output of the second stages. When tank pressure is equal to or below ambient pressure, the force of the delivered air, and hence the volume rate, is essentially zero and the regulator is no longer able to actively provide air. That's when "sucking" the tank is required. :D

The mechanics are clear, if I understand them correctly, that as the tank pressure drops below the IP normally set by the spring adjustment, the spring is not compressed enough to close the high pressure orifice. The high pressure orifice simply remains open and the regulator delivers air to the 2nd stages at a pressure lower than the normal IP and equal to tank pressure. It could be said that there is no longer an Intermediate Pressure, since there is no step-down at that point.

As you ascend, the pressure drops. You will most likely be able to get another breath (albeit a hard one) or two out of the reg. If you have the reg in your mouth, you'll actually get that breath. Even if there's still no air, the worst you will get a closed reg. But you may get another breath of air. And even if you get no air, the act of inhaling against a closed reg may satisfy the air hunger enough to get you to the surface.

Yes, quite a few more breaths, not necessarily hard either, if "sucking the tank dry" started two or three atmospheres deeper.... :no

As for regs, requiring 130 psi to operate, that is not true. For your entertainment, pull the dust cap OFF of your regulator and try to suck air through it. Most will allow you to breathe with a lot of resistance. Theoretically, you can breathe your tank down until you reach ambient pressure. However, breathing becomes increasingly difficult under a 130 PSI, even with a balanced reg.

I've found my regs still breathe almost as easily as normal as long as tank pressure remains above ambient. One can get easy breaths right down close to 50 psi or so in 30' of water. The regulator won't put out air in high volume, but it will be plenty for normal, relaxed breaths. You really only need 30 psi at 33' to get a little active delivery of air, if I have the Absolute Pressure concept right. :)

As one ascends from 33 ft, you will find one additional tank full of air as you approach the surface. That would be 3 tank fulls of air from 100 fsw. I have emptied a tank in a pool just to see what happens. I was surprised at the results and how empty I could make that tank.

Yes, surprising, but wonderfully true! I see I'm not alone in wanting to stay in the water forever! :D

The physics of that always fascinated me. But we seem to get conflicting opinions. I wish I can PM Vance Harlow, the author of scuba maintenance and repair on it.

Some say, that few extra breaths comes from the tank. Some say, it is the expanding air coming from the hoses.

I wish there is a safe way to test it. Take a tank down to 100 ft, breath it till it dry. Go up to 20 feet, breath it again, and then count the breath. Or simply, go to the surface and count the breaths.

Why can't someone do this and let us know. But the report from folks who have experienced this say it does happen, and you do get a few more breaths on the way up.

I'm going to further risk my credibility by revealing the following.... :wink:

I've "tested" my regs with an accurate spg at varying depths at tank pressures low enough to make the regulator begin to breathe harder than normal. This was done with a working redundant air supply in hand, of course.

It is true what they say, that the regulator will become easier to breathe as ambient pressures decrease on ascent. "Sucked dry" at 100' will get easier to breathe on the way up.

(Please be advised these tests were done under controlled conditions by trained professionals. Do not try this at home!) :D

Dave C

Last edited:
Then you get some total a$$ who comes in thinking that they are saint from high heaven who simply say - you are a what, and you did what??
Dude...

Welcome to the internet! :D Everyone has an opinion and quite often they feel that they are the only ones right. So, we get a ton of competing concepts hitting each other and we ALL get to see who seems to make more sense. That's just in case we don't have an opinion cast in stone yet.

Yet, with all of these opinions (mixed with a few facts now and then) flying around, we get to see how the OTHER guy thinks this through. It's very entertaining and we actually can learn from it.

Remember, opinionated does not equal "ass"

I don't think I'll ever be prepared.
First, you can't stop things from happening in another dive party. HOWEVER, some things I really preach to my DMs and DM candidates:

Situational Awareness: In addition to seeing what stressors are in the water around you, (current, surf, etc), look for stressors in your clients. Dangling hoses, lack of trim, a hesitancy getting prepared for the dive. Then continually read them in the water. Frequency of breathing, types of actions in the water, are they swimming with their hands? What are their gas pressures? I am going to be asking them continually, or I will be looking at their gauges, so I KNOW.

Location, location, location: If you want to do that kind of "flying tackle" as described earlier, you had best be between them and the surface. In fact, the traditional DM is position is wonderful for this: 10 foot over and just a tad behind. Then you keep scanning them to see who is starting to breathe faster.

Preparedness: YOU need to understand how you are going to handle every single underwater emergency. What are they? That would be a good thread for someone to start. Please PM me if you do! This also means to prepare your clients. Cover hand signals, and how you want them to handle situations in the water. I make sure they know how to recognize ME in the water. Why else would I dive a camo-wing? I am also certain that we have enough gas and that I will have a little extra.

Preparedness: YOU need to understand how you are going to handle every single underwater emergency. What are they?

Easier said than done and I think it would be impossible to foresee every single emergency. Secondly, 4 different divers could react 4 different ways to the same emergency, so every scenario could be different for say an OOA. Now that is not to say that one shouldn't be prepared but in the end the rescuer is still going to have to think and act. It will never become second nature to do a rescue unless it is something you are doing day in and day out. Let's hope not.

Bruce

1. You are not officially a DM until your paperwork has been approved by PADI
2. In the US, that will not happen until you have liability insurance

I just called PADI. They said that in the US, you still DON'T have to have malpractice or liability insurance. They highly recommend it, but it is not required.

Apparently this question was posed in the Going Pro section, and it was incorrectly answered by another member.

I guess that suggests, that when all heck broke loose... make sure that you're either broke, or that you have liablity insurance.

Remember, opinionated does not equal "ass"

How about a "pain in the butt".

Annoying as a "hemorrhoid".

As pleasant to be with as my exwife.

No, Rakkis, my comments were not referring to you. Someone else who added stuff later. You are a cool dude (most of the time).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom