Newbie to Bonaire: Questions & Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undrwtr1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Long time reader - infrequent poster.

My wife and I have been certified since the early 90s and have over 300 dives each, mostly Carribean. We also have several Northeast wreck and dozens of local shore dives (drysuit) as well as quarry dives.

Our last trip was about 7 years ago to Grand Cayman where we had been several times previously. In the intervening years, we deferred dive trips to travel with the kids who had no interest in getting certified or diving. Now that the kids are older, we are now ready to resume our regular dive trips and have a trip to Bonaire booked for April (Buddy).

All equipment has been checked and rechecked - even got new computers after comments that our Aladin Pros were antiques (we will use both).

We were planning on a full day of dives at Buddy Reef to re-acclimate ourselves and to ensure that everything is functioning as expected. Thereafter we are looking for recommendations for easy shore entry dives to start out with an emphasis on litter critters within the 40- 60 foot range (macro photos).

I'm sure I will think of other questions, but I figured I would start with our primary concern. BTW I do have the most recent version of "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy".

Thanks for any input and advice!!!

Gerry

[Dang, deleted my original post by accident. I’ll try to reconstitute it...]

I would suggest to take a refresher course with an instructor. Seven years away from diving is a very long time.

Also, don’t underestimate that your body has aged 7 years. What might’ve been fine for your body back then might not be so ok now.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:
We're going to in Bonaire in April as well. I agree with Dogbowl, do a refresher course - perhaps even while still up north (i.e. pool) to get re-acclimated to your equipment, do's and don'ts, etc. Go back and re-read your course material if you still have it, or get new course material and review it. A lot of it will come right back to you even as you're reading it.

And be conscious of the fact - as Dogbowl said - that you're 7 years older now. That's an excellent point.

Bonaire SITINAPA requires a check out dive for all newly arrived divers. This will be a good chance to work with Buddy Dive staff to ensure you are comfortable and to get your buoyancy on point. You've made a great choice of dive destinations. You might want to do a boat dive but we love the independence and peacefulness of shore diving around Bonaire. Have fun!

Thereafter we are looking for recommendations for easy shore entry dives to start out with an emphasis on litter critters within the 40- 60 foot range (macro photos).
Doesn't get much easier -- or better for little things -- than Bari Reef, entry just to the south of Den Laman...almost a walk from Buddy Dive. The other two best critter spots are Something Special, and Salt Pier. I could spend a whole week at just those three sites! However, ALL the sites have good critters in the shallows...just go slow and easy.

In addition to what others have said, I would add that the following dive sites are some of the easier entry and exits for shore diving:
Pink Beach, Bachelor Beach, Windsock (can enter right in front of the Kite City food truck), Oil Slick Leap (can giant stride in and ladder out or ladder in and out), Vista Blue, 1,000 Steps (Qualifier: the shore entry and exit are very easy, walking back up the 68+ steps to your truck may or may not be challenging, depending on your fitness), Cha Cha Cha (downtown in front of the Dive Friends shop). I concur with @Willar that you might want to consider a couple of boat dives with Buddy. When added to your shore dive package, boat dives in Bonaire are the least expensive I have found anywhere. Happy for you that you will be able to start regular dive vacations and a fun, new chapter in your lives!

I was just there. 18 palms at the Plaza resort. the easiest entry ever. Walk on a floating pier and step off. Or just walk in. there is a wall that goes down 110' (I hear) there is a public parking lot next to the dive shop. A great bar steps from the water if you are so inclined.

No better place to get back into diving than BON. For Litter critter as you say you can dive everyday on the house reefs at buddys, next over Capt Dons next over Cliff and see something new on every dive. The shallows are full of fun stuff. Bari's another easy site just down the street. Windsock super easy and we enjoy best before sunset. Same for Salt Pier. Tons of stuff in and around the piers. The setting sun makes for some great lighting. Nice coming out of dive with the sun setting Have fun

We were planning on a full day of dives at Buddy Reef to re-acclimate ourselves and to ensure that everything is functioning as expected. Thereafter we are looking for recommendations for easy shore entry dives to start out with an emphasis on litter critters within the 40- 60 foot range (macro photos).

I'm sure I will think of other questions, but I figured I would start with our primary concern. BTW I do have the most recent version of "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy".

Thanks for any input and advice!!!

Gerry
Going south from buddy dive, the shore entries get easier, as the reef slopes more gently, and some have sand beaches. Salt Pier is a absolute MUST for macro life, as is Something Special. Both are easy entries, however Something Special requires a bit of a walk (100 yards) with your gear. Almost no site on the west coast will have surf to contend with.

One none-diving one, Buddy does rent trucks, but they are almost all manuals.

Once you get adapted back to diving, I would venture north for sites like Karpata, Oil Slick Leap (which really is a leap), and 1000 Steps. None of these are really easy, though they are not difficult.

Going south from buddy dive, the shore entries get easier, as the reef slopes more gently, and some have sand beaches. Salt Pier is a absolute MUST for macro life, as is Something Special. Both are easy entries, however Something Special requires a bit of a walk (100 yards) with your gear. Almost no site on the west coast will have surf to contend with.

One none-diving one, Buddy does rent trucks, but they are almost all manuals.

Once you get adapted back to diving, I would venture north for sites like Karpata, Oil Slick Leap (which really is a leap), and 1000 Steps. None of these are really easy, though they are not difficult.
I’m not sure where you are parking for Something Special but I dove it today parked right next to the beach. 15 yards max. The crew l’m here with did it from the boat and were Gaga over it. Pick up Dive Guide Bonaire when you get here. It is a wonderful resource. Up north, Tolo is a super easy entry with a wonderful reef. Did it this afternoon and the reef looks much better than it did in December. You can follow it up with a ride through Goto Meer for great scenery and flamingos.

Buddy’s reef is terrific and has everything a macro photographer could want. If you are fresh getting back in the water leave the camera on shore for a day or two. You generally want to be able to do everything one handed and be comfortable with that before introducing a complexity like a camera. If you can, update your dive kit, the new stuff is better and safer.

Back
Top Bottom