Newbie question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staffybull

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, newbie here. This is probably a dumb question but can you rent a good UW camera in Coz? I have never been to Coz or anywhere for that matter other than FL and my home state of AR in the lake. I have checked some of the dive shop websites but didn't see anything. We are going for a week in July and still trying to decide on where to stay, what dives, etc.

Thx

I think it would be tough. I have heard there might be one place but have also heard the owners come and go from the island. I think you'd be better off buying something before coming. You've got lots of time to order camera and housing.

Although I didn't check this trip Dive Paradise (at the Hotel Cozumel location specifically) used to rent them for $45.00 per day & that price included burning your files to a CD. As you can see the price for a single days use isn't too bad but if you're thinking of 3 or 4 days better to buy something new or used.

I guess i should have been more specific. I was talking about one of the 1,000 + setups
My parents have 2 run of the mill uw cameras in the 300+ range but the photos are horrible and blurry w no color. Could be the fact that they need lights
Combined with the camera quality.
I doubt anyone rents highend cameras and i didnt want
To spend 1000 bucks on a housing just yet. I will bring the
Gopro hd and a light

Hello, newbie here. This is probably a dumb question but can you rent a good UW camera in Coz? I have never been to Coz or anywhere for that matter other than FL and my home state of AR in the lake. I have checked some of the dive shop websites but didn't see anything. We are going for a week in July and still trying to decide on where to stay, what dives, etc.

Thx

You could always try something like this..

http://www.borrowlenses.com/

I know they rent a lot of top end equipment (up to and including the Canon 800mm at about $12,000.00 per copy) and get good ratings from Pro photo forums I frequent. It says on their web site that they rent underwater equipment but I never checked into it.

I just tried to go to their web site for info before I posted this but it is down for maintenance and says it will be back up shortly.

If you are looking for the equipment in the price range you mentioned something like this is probably going to be your only choice.

Good Luck

Cool thx
Maybe i will get lucky and be on a boat w
Someone with a really nice setup snd i can
Pay them for a few good shots

Using a DSLR underwater isn't an easy task. You've got to MASTER your buoyancy, plus be able to dive without using your arms & hands during the majority of the dive. You don't look to have enough dives (in your profile) for me to think you'd do well with a rig like this (and I wouldn't either).

IMG_3171.JPG

The other thing you'd need to know about IF renting something like that is the care & maintenance required for closing it all up before each dive because the tinyest leak will kill it.

I guess i should have been more specific. I was talking about one of the 1,000 + setups
My parents have 2 run of the mill uw cameras in the 300+ range but the photos are horrible and blurry w no color. Could be the fact that they need lights
Combined with the camera quality.
I doubt anyone rents highend cameras and i didnt want
To spend 1000 bucks on a housing just yet. I will bring the
Gopro hd and a light
:laughing: My home bud had his strobe messed up for a few pics on the last trip, so I ran them thru a photo program. Came out pretty good. There's a lot more than point and shoot to underwater photos. PM me your email address if you'd like me to show you what I could do to a dozen of theirs.

Cameras get a lot of new divers into trouble too, and still distract me too much. The big difference there is new divers lose their cameras a lot. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sealife-station/371107-hey-get-orange-float-strap-please.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom