Newbie nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies.

To clarify my views of diving. In the future I will most likely dive on wrecks. Most of them lie at about 30m which gives me almost no bottom time at all, thats why I am looking into nitrox.

As it is now I think I will take the deal and start diving nitrox!

eod once bubbled...

To clarify my views of diving. In the future I will most likely dive on wrecks. Most of them lie at about 30m which gives me almost no bottom time at all, thats why I am looking into nitrox.

Well... Diving a Nitrox mix of 32% O2 would make the equivelent depth of a 98 fsw dive out to be 80fsw (24m) which would make your maximum bottom time 30 minutes with a PO2 of 1.27 which is a reasonably conservative profile. (though I wouldn't recommend pushing the 30 minute limit) Of course, if you're diving a Nitrox compatible dive computer then you gain even more.

Nitrox sounds like a reasonble route for your expectations.

PS: I love wreck diving myself. I started out diving the wrecks off of Virginia Beach and I miss them (don't miss the visibility and cool water though ~smile~)

eod once bubbled...

I think taking the course would be a good thing.

If you find yourself running out of gas before you run out of no-stop time, you may want to use air for a while and save a little money until your gas consumption improves.

I didn't take nitrox until I was ending dives with quite a bit of air in my tank. The extra cost on fills wasn't worth it until then.

BTW, they _did_ tell you that you probably need bigger tanks, didn't they?

Don Burke once bubbled...

BTW, they _did_ tell you that you probably need bigger tanks, didn't they?

Yes, of course, the package is with 2x12 bottles, so they are aimed at diving nitrox. This is of course some problem when diving shallower dives. The double pack is too big and bulky. Well, well, so many decisions (and way too expensive :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom