Newbie needs your advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawboy579

Reaction score
Well hi guys, Ill introduce myself (newbie here): Im Chris, from MI. I have recently completed my open-water course and a few dives, and now am interested in getting my own gear. Primarily, i set out to learn to dive for when i go on vacations in the Caribbean during the winter, but i have also found an interest in diving the great lakes. So these locations are where the equipment will be used.

A friend of mine works at a dive shop, and so has offered to get me my equipment with his discount. I really want to buy quality equipment now and grow into it, rather than having to keep upgrading later. Through some discussion with him and the shop here's what i came up with, and i thought maybee you could give me any advice on this:

--Zeagle Ranger BC
--Atomic SS1 safe second/inflator
--Atomic B2 regulator
--Sherwood Wisdom AI comp (getting an absolute steal on this one)
--80 CF aluminum tank

Anything here that you would recommend against? My buddy said all of these things would work well for any situation im likely to encounter and should provide for reliable service for years to come.

Thanks guys and sorry this is so loooong, but i guess i just have a lot of questions right now.

Chris

If you want to get quality equipment, ditch the Ranger and get a BP/W and a steel tank.
The rest is OK,

Read my rant about Zeagles on the "I'm buying stuff" post above.
If you are set on getting a big BCD, i assume maybe you are going to do a bunch of tech diving in the lakes at some point?
Maybe get yourself an OMS BCD or something more rigid along those lines. A back plate is much better for tech set ups.
THe Zeagle is sloppy..

Welcome to the board kawboy579! It's ALMOST more fun then diving here!

getwet2:
Welcome to the board kawboy579! It's ALMOST more fun then diving here!

Hey thanks, getwet2! I assume that BP/W means back plate? I have heard a few people mention that setup but im not really familiar with how it works. What is used as a bladder?

And how do you mean the zeagle is sloppy? Just not a rigid and supportive, or doest hold the tank as well or how? I have used the ranger and escape a few times and havent found any problems to speak of.

Thanks again!

The BP part does indeed mean backplate. The W part is where the lift happens. It stands for wing, the techie-talk for what you know as a BC or jacket. Heres an example: http://oxycheq.com/WS45-D1_248x275.jpg

That bolts onto the backplate with two bolts and wingnuts. This is held to your back with 2" nylon webbing, the same stuff used on weight belts. Heres an example of the BP: http://oxycheq.com/Harness1_125x135.jpg

They look pretty uncomfortable, but they really aren't. They hold everything tight to you so it doesn't slip any during the dive, and because you don't have all the junk on it, it's a lot more streamlined. Since you no longer have pockets on the harness, you either glue one or two to your wetsuit or drysuit thighs, use one of these (http://oxycheq.com/Wing_Access.html), or get one that goes on the waist strap.

Hope that helps.

before you buy new equipment I suggest you read the thread "dumped on by divings companies again" .... it takes a look at Dacor/Maries not supporting their products.

teknitroxdiver:
They look pretty uncomfortable, but they really aren't. They hold everything tight to you so it doesn't slip any during the dive, and because you don't have all the junk on it, it's a lot more streamlined.
Hope that helps.

Yes it does. That looks pretty easy. So you basically are assembling your own BC to suit your needs w/o all the unneccessary crap that factory BC's come with? It looks a lot more sleek and small than a regular BCD. Can any be found with traditional padded shoulder straps? Also, this may have been asked before, but can you use an air 2 (SS1) with these, as i really like these as a backup air supply.

--Zeagle Ranger BC
Nice. I considered this, but chose a halcyon eclipse #30 because of better fit and greater future flexibility.

--Atomic SS1 safe second/inflator
Reaaaaallly prefer a traditional octo. Ask around
--Atomic B2 regulator
very nice reg. very recommended.

--Sherwood Wisdom AI comp (getting an absolute steal on this one)
Never used this, however you may want to consider wrist mount vs. ai

--80 CF aluminum tank
OK

kawboy579:
Yes it does. That looks pretty easy. So you basically are assembling your own BC to suit your needs w/o all the unneccessary crap that factory BC's come with? It looks a lot more sleek and small than a regular BCD. Can any be found with traditional padded shoulder straps? Also, this may have been asked before, but can you use an air 2 (SS1) with these, as i really like these as a backup air supply.
That's right. And if you ever change your gear configuration, such as switching to doubles, all you have to do is bolt on a different wing.

There are a couple of options as far as padded straps go. You can get things like Oxycheq's O-pack or Dive Rite's version, which are padded straps with quick releases, snaps, velcro, etc. I wouldn't recommend these, you really don't need it. The better option is neoprene pads, which slip over the shoulder straps. I would suggest that you try it without any padding, and then if you feel you need it, you can add the pads. I'm pretty sure you can use an AIR2 with a wing, but don't hold me to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom