Newbie needs advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

try a double hose before you spend big money on a ccr

I had an online look at the Kraken and I am not convinced. It seems to be out of stock most of the time, not clear how to get service, and there is only one HP port (I do NOT want to chose between either an analog gauge or a wireless transmitter, I want both). Seems even less mainstream than a rebreather.

you can use a splitter to keep the ai transmitter. service is going to be either ship to vdh in florida or DIY. yes, they are going to be a custom order, but less cost and risk than a rebreather if you are not going to go deep enough for trimix regularly.

I should have been more specific about why I am thinking about diving a rebreather:
1) I am an avid photographer, and would like to be less intrusive to marine life. Btw, this also applies to hunting for lionfish, which we try to keep under control here.
2) Extended dive times, particularly in the 25-40 m depth range. There are several wrecks here that have longish approach swims and where I would like to have more bottom time.
3) In the long run, I would probably want to go deeper to explore other wrecks that are less accessible.
4) I would like to back to places like Truk Lagoon and Bikini Atoll and do more extensive explorations of the wrecks there. I have dived them on OC (air and O2 deco), but would have more leeway.

With everything you said, getting the P2 seems like a no-brainer, to me.

You have an instructor right there. A P2 that is ready to dive for half price would be a decent deal here in the States. I imagine it's a fantastic deal in Curacao. Other P2 divers nearby just makes it better. More knowledge locally. More chance of somebody having a spare when you really need it.

I have not dived a double hose reg. But, for what you are doing, I would think a CCR would be much more preferable. When I'm diving and taking photos, if I am not on CCR then I always use doubles. At 25 - 40m depth and taking pictures, being on a single tank just seems both risky and limiting. And if you're going to go with doubles, instead of CCR, then using a DH reg is no longer a real option, I don't think.

Being on CCR has been a huge boost to my u/w photography. I can easily get a lot closer to the critters, and I can stay a lot longer. I might rack up some deco, but I'm not worrying about running out of gas if I get distracted. Yes, there are other things to worry about, but I still think being on CCR is less stressful. It's especially nice since I got a NERD and I can monitor everything that I need to without moving a finger.

.................it seems a lot of extra hassle with many extra points of failure without gaining anything.

@vjongene, as @Tribal said, but to add, it is not just 'it seems', it IS a lot of hassle just for your 'normal' everyday diving within the so-called recreational 'limits' as it were.

But don't let that necessarily stop you from going CCR, just make sure you are fully aware of same. :eek:

Is the trade off from simplicity (OC) to relative complexity (CCR) worth it, well that's up to you. If you are really into u/w photography of fish, then the answer is almost certainly yes.

But my understanding is that fish just get in the way of a good wreck! :stirpot:

Stuartv said it best. I dive the P2, absolutely love it for both rec and tech dives. You have access to buy one at a good price, a fantastic instructor at your disposal. Which means support and service etc. Hollis has been nothing short of amazing with their customer service and assistance to myself and a number of friends I dive with all on P2’s. Yes but it, dove the hell out of it and have fun!

With everything you said, getting the P2 seems like a no-brainer, to me.

You have an instructor right there. A P2 that is ready to dive for half price would be a decent deal here in the States. I imagine it's a fantastic deal in Curacao. Other P2 divers nearby just makes it better. More knowledge locally. More chance of somebody having a spare when you really need it.

I have not dived a double hose reg. But, for what you are doing, I would think a CCR would be much more preferable. When I'm diving and taking photos, if I am not on CCR then I always use doubles. At 25 - 40m depth and taking pictures, being on a single tank just seems both risky and limiting. And if you're going to go with doubles, instead of CCR, then using a DH reg is no longer a real option, I don't think.

Being on CCR has been a huge boost to my u/w photography. I can easily get a lot closer to the critters, and I can stay a lot longer. I might rack up some deco, but I'm not worrying about running out of gas if I get distracted. Yes, there are other things to worry about, but I still think being on CCR is less stressful. It's especially nice since I got a NERD and I can monitor everything that I need to without moving a finger. (Emphasis added, jcr)
Doubles and a double hose regulator go very well together.

41330868710_9ebc20d566_b.jpg
Marion Yaquina Bay Dive-8 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

29270076088_4e49f42b0a_b.jpg
Marion Yaquina Bay Dive-7 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

42237138495_5d741017b2_b.jpg
Marion Yaquina Bay Dive-5 by John Ratliff, on Flickr
Diver Marion Fisk diving double steel 72s in Yaquina Bay, Oregon in 2018.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom