Newbie looking for carry-on luggage suggestions to put gear in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't say where you are flying from, of flying to -- but if it's US domestic travel, I'd recommend the following:

(1) Fly SOUTHWEST. You get two free checked bags, plus a carry on, plus a personal item. Plus, no penalty for rescheduling your flight, so if the weather forecast turns crappy, you can reschedule at the last minute.

(2) I am 6'1, and in my regular carry on roller, (purchased at Marshalls, nothing special), I always put the following: BCD (large-size Mares Balance), regulator, computer, and prescription dive mask, wet suit, and booties, and gloves. I put the dive mask inside the booties. I don't want to go trying to replace any of that stuff if it gets lost or delayed in checked luggage.

(3) For the personal item, I take a soft-sided camera case with all of my camera gear (Olympus TG5, housing, tray, two video lights, dive lights, chargers, batteries). I put that case inside a generous school-sized backpack, and then I add to the back pack my wide angle lens for the TG5 in a hard case.

(4) If I am going to be shore diving in FL or CA, I fly with all my lead weights. The rental charges for lead weights in FL especially can be ridiculously high (up to $10 a day), and I pride myself on traveling as cheaply as possible, so I put my lead weights in my checked bags. With two free bags on Southwest flights, I usually am well under the 50 lbs. per-bag limit anyway. If I am going someplace where I'm going to need a lot more neoprene and lead (Southern California), I split the weights between my checked bags and my carry-on.

@nippurmagnum I did say where I typically fly and what airlines, but it was down in my second post. It's typically SW and to tropical destinations.

That is a very good point about Marshalls. I have one and a TJ Maxx that are also within close distance to the REI I'm going to check out, so I may end up going to all 3 stores to check out stuff.

@nippurmagnum
That is a very good point about Marshalls. I have one and a TJ Maxx that are also within close distance to the REI I'm going to check out, so I may end up going to all 3 stores to check out stuff.

You might want to take your BCD with you when you go to Marshalls or its sister stores, and make sure that the BCD fits. All the other gear is pretty much moldable, but if the BCD doesn't fit, the bag is no good for your purposes. You'll maybe get some weird looks at the store, but nobody will accuse you of having stolen the BCD from Marshalls. Alternatively, buy a couple of candidate bags and only keep the one that works best.

You might want to take your BCD with you when you go to Marshalls or its sister stores, and make sure that the BCD fits. All the other gear is pretty much moldable, but if the BCD doesn't fit, the bag is no good for your purposes. You'll maybe get some weird looks at the store, but nobody will accuse you of having stolen the BCD from Marshalls. Alternatively, buy a couple of candidate bags and only keep the one that works best.
It will fit logistically since it's just a standard BP size and the wing can be rolled/folded up as well.

Although, I feel like it might fit just placing it in there flat with the BP/W put together since it's relatively flat.

I'm going to see how it fits in my current carry ons and measure them too before I check any out. I'm pretty sure the current carry ons that I have are noticeably smaller than what is actually allowed, based on what I see every time I fly.

Unnecessary? :clapping: The weight difference is negligible. You will replace your standard roll aboard multiple times and you will not with this. I see no advantage to going the standard roll aboard route. AND, there are times when they will MAKE you check your carryon whether you want to or not. To each his own!!!

So you are saying the main advantage over a standard rollaboard is that the Pelican is more durable and will last longer? Okay, that seems reasonable. I myself haven't experienced a lack of durability in my carry-on. My 1990s TravelPro rollaboard is still going strong after hundreds of trips in the overhead bin.

I don't see an advantage of the rollaboard over a hard-sided case like the Pelican, either (assuming it fits in the overhead bin as advertised), other than cost and availability. I was just asking. Rollaboards are ubiquitous, competitively priced, and seem to work fine. I was just curious as to the perceived advantage of something like a Pelican case for ordinary dive gear.

Unless one has a lot of expensive camera gear, why would a hard-shelled case like that be preferable to a standard rollaboard or backpack? Ordinary dive gear, even regulators, doesn't need that kind of protection. As a carry-on, it's not like a baggage handler is going to mangle it. I'm not seeing the advantage, just unnecessary weight/bulk.

We bought ours when we first began diving and wanted all the 'cool stuff'. We also got the humongous ones (anyone want to buy them - padding too?). @Fathom044 makes a good point - while we have replaced SO many bags (which now serve as my storage for off-season clothing), I will never have to replace my Pelican.

@purbeast - it really will depend on what you feel you MUST have in your carry on. Because I'm a little person I could probably fit my Zeagle Zena (BCD), a 3 mil, my mask, boots, camera with lights, regulator and watch style computer in it - along with dive socks, gloves and swim suit. But my husband could never do that because his BCD is much bigger. See if a local friend has one that you can play with before you spend the money - or be prepared to do a return if it doesn't work out.

Let’s compare. Weight of Travelpro Crew 10 22 Inch (not sure if this is what you have but for comparison) EXTERIOR 11 x 14 x 22 WEIGHT EMPTY: 8.8 lbs COST: $135.
Pelican 1535 Air EXTERIOR 21.96" x 13.97" x 8.98" WEIGHT EMPTY: 8.69 lbs (3.9 kg) COST: $195. Maximum carry on size for most airlines is 22x14x9. So, technically, the first is not approved. I can pack my pelican full, with no consideration for weight and it can take it. If I decide to add foam, I can protect anything I put in there. If I have to check it, no worries. It’s also waterproof. If the airline (and I have had this happen) leaves it sitting on the tarmac during a storm to load the plane. In my experience, I can get more equipment, clothes, etc in the Pelican case and it will fit perfectly (no expansion pockets) in any overhead that I have encountered. And I have not mentioned the wheels. $60 difference, a lifetime investment, and the equipment I put in there is worth that to me.

I also have a Pelican Air 1615 for my checked luggage. Maximum checked size. For all the reasons above and more. I zip tie it closed before I check it and I know immediately in baggage claim if it has been opened. On a recent trip to TRUK, upon returning, the airline managed to destroy my dive bag and some of the equipment inside. My equipment came out in a plastic tub, what was left of it. I am not a Pelican dealer nor do I know one. :acclaim:

I also have a Pelican Air 1615 for my checked luggage. Maximum checked size.
Bulletproof checked bags are great, but very heavy. Your Pelican Air 1615 is 14.06 lbs (6.4 kg) without foam. That would be 28% of a typical 50 lbs / 23 kg bag weight limit. I wouldn't want to allocate that much weight to the bag, and would prefer something like Cargo Hauler Wheeled Duffel 130L | EagleCreek United States which weighs 4.44 lbs / 2.01 kg. Of course, each of us has to decide how much protection is worth carrying vs the weight it will bring to every trip.

For carry-ons, the issues are very different if you are flying mostly US domestic—where only airlines like Spirit might weight your carry-on—vs international—where unless you are in Business or better, the chances are very high they will weight your carry-on. You picked a Travelpro that is pretty overbuilt, since it is designed for multiple trips per week. Choosing more for weight could easily get you into the 6 lbs range, and going for very lightweight could get you into the 4 lbs range.

For the OP who is intending to mostly fly Southwest, I agree with the earlier posts which suggested a cheap maximum US sized carry-on that will hold everything he needs. They will all be roughly 22" x 14" x 9" boxes and should pack similarly. I also agree that only the mask, computer and regulator are absolutely critical items to have on-board if delays are a concern—all the other items can easily be rented or used for the few days/dives before your delayed luggage arrives.

I am personally not concerned about the weight of carry-on luggage so a few lbs here or there won't bother me.

I ended up checking out some stores last night. I went to REI and saw the North Face Rollin Thunder 22' which was pretty nice. The one I liked more though was the Gregory Quadro Pro 22". It was very sturdy quality and looked to be the perfect size. It was $200 and I didn't want to jump into anything quite yet.

I then checked out Marshall's, Ross, and TJ Maxx since they were around there.

Marshall's had a bunch of stuff for like $50 - $60 that just felt so cheap and flimsy.

Ross and TJ Maxx had some Samsonite ones that felt okay and I ended up getting one for $80.

The quality difference compared to the stuff at REI is definitely noticeable, but, I think it is going to be "good enough". I don't know though I just have a hard time justifying spending that much more money if the cheaper stuff will work for me. Also since this is going to be in my hands the whole time, I know I won't be careless with it.

I didn't quite have time last night to see if all my gear fits but I plan on doing it today. If it doesn't all fit, I can just return it though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom