Newbie looking for carry-on luggage suggestions to put gear in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

purbeast

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've recently completed the purchase of all of my gear and I am looking for suggestions for a piece of rolling luggage that can carry my gear that will meet most carry-on regulations.

I am looking to put everything but fins in it as they are too large and always go in my checked in luggage.

I have traveled before with a wetsuit, booties, mask, and snorkel in a smaller roll on that I have, but I now also have a BP/W and a regulator set.

I also carry on a backpack that has a bunch of tech stuff in it (which included my dive computer) that a regulator bag could probably fit in, so I could possibly get something without having to put that in it as well. If possible though I'd like to put my regs in there too.

So I'm just looking for suggestions that could possibly meet this, if it even exists. I know with my current carryon there is no chance I could fit my BP/W in there, but it's also on the smaller side of what I see people carrying on.

Keep in mind that carry on regulations wary between airlines. While say, AA and Delta are quite generous, Fiji Air and Virgin Australia will allow only a 15 pd piece as carry-on. Allegiant sets limit for both check in and carry on at 40 pd. They'll let you in with a 50-pounder but you'll have to pay extra $50. Etc, etc. On the whole, 3 things should always go into carry on:

Your mask, because it is very individual and hard to replace if lost.
Your camera and housing because they are valuable and fragile.
Your reg because it is valuable.

There is no reason to carry on anything else unless you decide to travel with a carry on only and rent most your gear. If your wet suit fits in, fine. If not, it's not a big deal.

I used the smaller carry on roller bag and it holds everything but my fins.

SS Backplate / harness
Wing
Regs
Computer
Mask
Booties

If you are a small person it means your BC is smaller and will fit easier. What I can pack verses what my husband can pack is significantly different. This is such a personalized choice - will you be carrying a camera and rig? What size computers? Do you want to rely on the idea that the bag will NEVER leave your side (it could get gate checked on a small plane)? I haven’t found the perfect bag yet but if I HAD to choose one, and only one, it would be my carry on size Pelican. But it’s heavy before you put anything in it ... but it makes a good bench, footstool, table - and ain’t nuthin gonna get broken inside if it’s packed fairly well.

All of my cameras and computers will be in my backpack that is aside from my roll on. I will have my Nintendo Switch (that I use on flight), my charging cables, goPro, laptop, dive computer, and few other nick nacks in my backpack, so this isn't what I am looking to fit into the roll on. I also realize that fins simply won't fit as they are too long.

The roll on that I'm looking to put all my stuff in, I'm hoping will have the following

- 3mm full wetsuit (Large male sized)
- DGX SS backplate with custom harness I setup
- VDH #35 wing
- Cam bands
- Atomic Z2 reg setup with 4' primary braided and 2' secondary braided necklace setup
- Booties
- Mask

My mask is prescription so no way I will check that in. If need be I will also fit that into my backpack as I have a soft mesh pack that I put it in so it doesn't take up too much room.

Also just for reference, this is primarily going to be flying on American company airlines to the tropics (at least initially). I have tons of Southwest points so the most of the flights will be SW flights. They allow both a "personal item" which is my backpack as well as a carry on, which is the rollon.

Also, I typically travel with my wife and son, so worst case scenario, we have multiple carry ons. But if possible I'd like to try and fit that all into one. We already use a second carry on for other beach stuff we bring.

Ditch that regulators bag. No reason you need more protection that in your carry on. How about check in your wetsuit and bootie, the rest should fit in 22" roller with space to spare if VDH wing is soft and pliable. The DGX/Dive rite plate should fit easily due to its flat design

I use a 22" costco Kirkland brand roller to fit everything except fins and wetsuit with quite a bit of space left with a Halcyon 30lb wing. Before that, I had a Oxycheq 40lb wing which won't fit.

But I have a suggestion tho, if you are going on vacation with wife and kids who don't dive, and if I can assume you will be just doing a few dives consider just renting as well.

Ditch that regulators bag. No reason you need more protection that in your carry on. How about check in your wetsuit and bootie, the rest should fit in 22" roller with space to spare if VDH wing is soft and pliable. The DGX/Dive rite plate should fit easily due to its flat design

I use a 22" costco Kirkland brand roller to fit everything except fins and wetsuit with quite a bit of space left with a Halcyon 30lb wing. Before that, I had a Oxycheq 40lb wing which won't fit.

But I have a suggestion tho, if you are going on vacation with wife and kids who don't dive, and if I can assume you will be just doing a few dives consider just renting as well
Likewise - Costco Roller bag works great for dive gear+ normal holiday gear. I got my SP BP&W (with lights, knife, etc still attached), 3mm wetsuit & fins in to it. Top section I managed to get the rest of my clothes & toiletries into. Regs/computer/mask travel in carry on.

Agree about the vacation + diving option - if the dives are add ons to a main vacation, think about renting gear.

Hmmm looking on Costo's website, it appears they do not carry Kirkland luggage anymore. Even a google search led me to a dead link on their website.

And definitely not going to be renting gear. I didn't buy all of this gear to keep it at home. It's really not a big deal to bring it, I'm just looking to see if there is a possibility to get it all in a carry on (other than fins) and if not, then I'll check some of it in. I just prefer to keep certain items on my person at all times if I can.

Something like the North Face Rolling Thunder range then if you can't find Kirklands ones.

I prefer not to have my luggage being too identifiable as containing dive gear (I would not use any scuba manufacturers bags such as Scubapro/Mares etc for that reason - they advertise that my bag contains expensive scuba gear).

Most of my gear I will have in hold luggage but I will never check my "personal gear" such as mask, computer & regs. If I lose my hold bag or it is delayed, I can still dive happily with those three items with rental suit/bcd and fins. I am never 100% confident about diving rented regs unless I know the companies reputation is beyond reproach. Fins/BCD & suit on the other hand I can make work

Several years ago I bought a Kelty Redwing 50L backpack specifically for this purpose. I can fit everything in this bag. BP/W, regs, computers, mask, wetsuits, GoPro, tray, lights, change of clothes, water shoes and raincoat. Fins are the problem, so those are checked. However, you can easily rent fins if your checked luggage is delayed. Technically the 50L Redwing exceeds the length standards, but it conforms perfectly to a tapered overhead bin. These backpacks are very lightweight and comfortable for marching around airport concourses. I have never had an issue boarding an aircraft with this bag...yet.

Redwing 50

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom