Newbie goes to DIR-F (part 1)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've decided to try to share last weekends DIR-F experiences from the perspective of a Newbie since that's exactly what I am (see Introductions and Greets for more on my background). For anyone who wants to details of our class, Mot2vation's account is far clearer than I ever could write. However, as the only Newbie in the class, I think I bring a different perspective (the one from under the bus) and for those of you who are in similar situations I hope this thread will be helpful.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this, but since I really haven't a clue I guess I'll try a simple chronology and comment as I go. First off, remember I went into this class with a grand total of 23 dives…so lets see, it's less than a month before DIR-F at Catalina...

Splashdown minus ~4 weeks:
I've decided it's time to buy my own gear (having used my friends gear for the better part of a year) and I've decided to go with BP/Wings. Not really sure why except I like what I've been reading about them and I suppose I have a crazy idea that someday I just might want to dive Tech. (and heck, they just look cool). After a crazy two weeks of reading everything I could find on the internet I've decided to order:
Halcyon SS BP
Pioneer 36lb wing
Vytec Computer
Suunto SK-7 compass
Jet Fins
7' long hose, 24" back-up (talked up from 22" when I bought it)
Halcyon knife (got a great deal)
I'll still rent tanks as I think I want to wait for one of the new PST E-series ones and I can't decide on integrated weights (ACB) or not - and even if I could I'm confused about the real differences between the ACB20 and ACB30. Also, since I'm going for the integrated Vytec I figure I don't need a separate SPG and I've got an old mask that works just fine. I'll get spring straps for my Jet Fins one day, but for now I'll leave the existing straps since I'm confused on how long the straps need to be.

Oh, and I've just discovered Scuba Board!

Splashdown minus 2 weeks:
I've been reading lots on Scuba Board and run into SeaJay's account of his DIR-F experience … hummm, I've heard of this stuff, but never seriously considered taking a class until I was a lot more experienced. However, after reading his account, I begin to think maybe I could do this sooner than later? (Note to file, upon re-reading his thread I'm really not sure why I was inspired ... ~lol~ oh well ...) In no time I find MHK's thread mentioning that he's going to be doing a class the end of March in L.A.. Just for fun I send email asking if it makes any sense for someone as new as me to take the class. His response, "absolutely" - in fact he tells me that he has had people with as few as 9 dives take the class (true though he didn’t mention she was his girlfriend) and, even better, turns out the class already has four (count them 4) people with less than 80 dives each (.NOT.) but clueless me I buy the whole thing hook line and sinker. Somehow, miracle of miracles, by the time the class roles around three of those four have added a few hundred dives each to their profiles and two of them have miraculously become instructors! (Note to file, MHK really is a great guy and an awesome instructor, but at times you might want to consider the "spirit" of his words more than the "truth" of them.)

Splashdown minus 1 week:
I've connected with Mot2vation who's going to be in the same class and he's offered to help me try out my new BP/Wings which have just arrived. Haven't gotten the long hoses yet and last minute I've decided to order an SPG and new low volume mask. Also, I forgot to get SS Snaps and the ones I can find around town just don't cut it so I've shot off a note to Douglas Nix to see if he can send me some ASAP. I meet Mot2vation in L.A. and we're off to Catalina for two dives. He's awesome, takes nearly an hour to help me set up my gear and in we go. I love the BP/Wings right off … somehow it seems natural to me (no, I didn't hear the Angels singing, but I know they are there anyway). Since much of my gear isn't in yet I can't work with the long hose or SPG, but still the dives are wonderful and I'll reap many benefits in the class by having done them (and remember, we just added 10% to my total dive history!) Note to those who follow, while historically not mandatory, you will really benefit by having your own BP/Wings or at least using BP/Wings in this class (I believe they become mandatory in June). If you are ready to go that route, I strongly suggest you get them ahead of time and at least try them out first, ideally with a classmate or someone who’s DIR themselves. No, you probably won't get the fit perfect etc., but it helped me enormously in the class to have had even those two dives with the gear ahead of time.

Splashdown minus 1 day:
Okay, tomorrow is the big day. I've just received my new SPG (where exactly does that thingamjigger go?), Mini-shadow arrives and even my new SS Snaps are in so I’m cutting cave line and burning fingers! I've barely time for some last minute gear set-up with lots of cross checking of my Scuba Board links (how to tie a knot, how to rig my long hose, how to bungee my back-up etc.). Note to file, this board rocks and I've been saving links on “how-to” most any DIR thing I can find – those links are now invaluable.

Splashdown: (to be continued)

~<//><

P.S. Okay guys, I really was trying to keep this short …. Really I was!

I remember my conversion, best thing I every did

I'll hopefully be taking the DIR-F class in June. This post is sure to prove helpful to me, since I'll be going into it with about the same number of dives under my belt. Keep the reports coming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom