New York Bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tavi, no disrespect intended, but they aren't just going to "hand him over" so we can put his head on a spike. I have never been through a war myself, or been in the military to be trained for war..and if there is a less violent way to end this..I'm all for it. But, I'm afraid many people will die. Civilians and military. And this is why it is called "war".

I personally don't understand the whole concept of war. Why people have killed other people for land or power. But, this isn't a normal war. These people don't want land or power..they are killing out of hate..and the only demand that I have heard is "America must die". And, I for one, don't agree to that demand!

While my first reaction (after horror and disbelief) was to bomb the **** out of whoever was responsible. But, I"m very glad the US government didn't do that based on a hunch. They are still gathering information and proof. And, telling countries exactly what their demands are. No one is forgetting that the WTC includes the word "World". EVERYONE has been effected by this.

I'm not saying two wrongs make a right. But, people will die. But, if we don't do anything, I think MORE people will die.

Ok..my position is known..I'm going to shut up now.

We don't know where the enemy is, or who.

I had an office in 7 WTC (everyone got out, I happened to be in Dallas that day). I also live in a Jersey City neighborhood which is two subway (PATH) stops from the WTC. Everyday we hear about another person who is missing (I just heard about two people I knew well, but had no idea they were in the WTC, they don't work there). It has been devastating here. People are constantly fighting back tears, sometimes unsuccessfully.

We also hear about another FBI investigation into people right here... our own neighbors may have been involved. According to one local man, one suspect's wife had no idea and she said he wasn't even that religious. And she can't even divorce him because of her religious beliefs.

It isn't like we can't see the enemy through thick jungle. We can see them, they may be sitting right next to us, we just don't know they are the enemy.

My cable went out about an hour ago and my heart rate jumped.

mattiedread, isn't there a quote that goes, "We've seen the enemy, and he is us." To me, one of the very frieghtening aspects of this situation is that we may have purchased bread or gasoline or even sat next to a terroist in the past year. Our innocence is forever gone replaced with suspicion. So umbleiveably sad.

~lildiver

A friend of mine who has always provided me with very good, early stock market information just told me two stories:

1. Dan Rather on Letterman last night said there were people sitting on rooftops in Jersey City PRIOR to the first plane hitting the WTC. (Great view of the WTC from here).

2. A co-worker of his has a sister who lived next to an Arab American family for 6 years (somewhere in my neighborhood). They were friends; their children played together. On Monday her neighbor stated so emphatically that she should not go into the city on Tuesday that she called the police, who took it with a grain of salt. She was so shaken she did not go into the city. The following afternoon the FBI raided the house. It was basically empty.

Also, my dog walker told me that a local Mosque was celebrating after the attack and the celebrants were being harrassed by passerbys. They called the police who, under Federal Law, had to dispatch a team to protect their freedom of speech. This sounds suspect, as the Mosque is not that far from here I would think I would have heard the story. Plus, my local watering hole has become a favorite hangout of the FBI (although they are very quiet).

I personally can not vouche for the validitiy of any of the above statements. But, I do know that a local brain trauma unit has several new patients who were beaten during a celebration. (My wife runs the unit).

Celebrating the murder of innocent people.

mattiedread,

Our prayers are with you and yours.

Chad

Hey Matt...

Long time no hear... and then to hear this! I am very glad you are ok...

Don't quite know what else to say apart from that... but you know what I mean.

Everyone.

I actually finished up my full time contract in 7WTC in June, but I was still going in every now and again. (Was there the Thursday beforehand, bought a book in Boarders, had a beer in Windows on the World). I don't think 7 WTC reported any casualties (but I'm not sure). I know there were none on the 43rd, where I worked.

Keralucu, I've been monitoring the board (actually getting both good distractions and strength from here), but I've been too numb to reply until today. Anyway, it looks like I'm heading to Bangkok and then drifting south along the Andaman coast. Probably won't have much of an itinerary, but diving and hiking are the plan, so maybe our paths can cross. Looks like three or four weeks, leaving around October 15-20, returning November 15-20. May hit Angor Wat, so maybe only two weeks in the Andaman (would love to hit Burma Banks). Phuket will only be 4 or 5 days if at all, but I do want to dive Coral Island and Hin Maung/Hin Daueng... we may do that from Koh Lanta though. The plan is just coming together now (just figuring out dates/airfare).

I think I'm done in NY. I never really liked it here anyway. (BTW, Natasha, my 212 phone number no longer exists:)

Again, Thank You, Everyone.

(In the event you haven't already heard)

Just announced on the radio ...
The U.S. has asked that everyone step out on their lawns tonight at 10:30
(10:30 EASTERN TIME.... 9:30 Central, 8:30 Mountain, 7:30 Pacific) and
light a candle. They will be taking a satellite picture of the U.S. and
posting it on the news tomorrow morning.

Please pass this on to as many people as possible.

Back
Top Bottom