New York Bombings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a NYC Police Officer and have been to the site of the WTC.I must say that everybody from all over the country working together to rescue the victims is amazing.Thanks to all people who have helped with the rescue and for all the prayrs and support.
Jim

Thank you for all that you and your fellow officers have done for the country.

Chad

Hey Matt,
Just got back from today, and caught up on this post tonight.
I thought of you. I knew you and my other diver friend Steve both work in and out of Manhattan. I haven't heard from him yet, but he is a member on this board also.
Glad you're Ok. So sorry about the people you knew that are still missing. I was supposed to leave for Manhattan tomorrow. The event was canceled due to the Port Authority being used for clean up.
Have fun on your October trip. We'll expect a dive report.
Be safe!

j27rock - good on you and all your fellow police officers and emergency/rescue workers for doing such an amazing and heart-wrenching job. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like, and every day I watch the news from here I wish there was more I could do to help. Just know that people from all over the world are applauding you.

Wish I could take part in the candle satellite pic - but it's too bright in Bangkok at 10pm EST! :)

Matt - It would be great to meet up with you in Bangkok at some point during your travels. Don't hit Angkor Wat too hard now - it's pretty old and fragile! :p

I knew there was an NYC police officer on this board. I couldn't remember who, but was hoping you replied.

Alison, when I know when I'm going to be there, I'll let you know. I don't plan on a lot of time in Bangkok, but you sent me a URL of a place north of Phuket that looks like a great place to spend a few days... off the beaten path.

Natasha, I forgot you were scheduled to come here. When you get a new date, let me know. I'm back in NY, pretty much until I finish up this contract (mid Oct). If you are here prior to that, I'd love to meet up.

Everyone,

The airline industry is facing a crisis because of this tragedy! If the government doesn't step up to help many of the airlines may not survive. So you say so what? Well think about this if 30% of the airline industry goes under the others will be able to charge more. That means that our dive trips will cost more. Visiting family will cost more. Paying for the infamous Syruss32 to fly to where you are and dive with you will be more expensive.

So what can you do? Let your government representatives know what you feel. Let them know that if it takes government support to keep them afloat for a while, that is what we support. Let them know it is UNACCEPTABLE for 30-50000 employees to be out of jobs because of this. AND let them know that the bailout should also include clauses that say we helped you out, now you help out your employees and stop considering layoffs!

Also support America! Right now we are in rough times. The stock market took a big hit, but that can be good news. If you have an extra hundred bucks buy some stock. Get a few shares of something with long term potential, things like airline stocks, defense stocks, pharmacutical stocks. But go out and do it! By buying stocks you will help bolster the economy and show the world we may be down but we will come back stronger!

If you are interested in getting stocks but don't have $1000 to get an account on etrade or something like that, you can create an account on http://www.buyandhold.com and you can open the account immediately with any amount and have the money withdrawn electronically from your checking account. The cost is $6.99 a month with 2 free trades, and then $2.99 a trade. Or for $14.99 a month get unlimited trades!

So get on board and lets all work to help America and ourselves in this time of need. I have been one to alway say someday I should start buying stocks, and until yesterday that someday was always tomorrow. But now I am doing it. I don't have much I opened an account and bought $350 in stocks and I think of it as donating to the cause. And if I pick good it will pay me back many times over!

God Bless America

Mario,
I know those guys (the web crackers) mean well, but complete information is central to democracy, as I'm sure I don't have to tell you or anyone. I was trying just after the attack to find some other news source, *any* other news source from within Afghanistan and the links had all been hacked down. Not what we need to make informed decisions, IMO.
Terry

I was sent that song too, and almost wrote it done for the board... discretion took hold of me though. I do agree with it in that there will be a day of reckoning for the wicked!!! "Bombers coming gonna flatten your home!"

As for the "hackers" if you are talking about the time immediately AFTER the suicide cult attack, then it was not hackers, but a combination of web traffic and a host of routers and servers in BOTH of the WTC towers that were lost. Just as Atlanta is a major airline hub, New York IS THE MAJOR Network hub for the world. When you destroy that much of the Internet infrastructure and cripple a goodly portion more with a blackout AND have that much more traffic, then we will experience the slowdowns and all of those time-outs. Try and pick local newsgroups that will have their web pages hosted close to you in times like these. You will probably be able to get through to those!

And please, please, be careful of what you "pass along"... this incident has brought out the absolute worst in the rumor mongers of this age. I think the "Urban Legend" pages will more than double with all of the unsupported crap out there. Some of it looks good too, like that picture of the tourist with the Airline about to crash behind him. Very artfully done, and yet VERY VERY poor taste. Take it all in moderation, and don't beleive everything you see or hear (even from our government), there are many plots and sub-plots and it would take an incredibly high security clearance to really know all of it. Being foriegn born, a Russian linguist, and a known subversive from the sixties, I am sure that I don't rate that!!!

Pete

I agree with you regarding being careful about what to belive. "Some of it looks good too, like that picture of the tourist with the Airline about to crash behind him. Very artfully done, and yet VERY VERY poor taste." The sad thing is that some people really thought it was real.

Everyone should remember that "misinformation" is a very important tool in wars. Propaganda has been the tool of terrorists/corrupt regimes for years. So take everything you read/see with a grain of salt. Unless it has been been verified by a dozen reliable sources it probably isn't true. And even then I would question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom