New x-treme fins, new pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tridacna - I interpreted his original post as saying that he was swimming the fins to get used to them in general, and if they worked out any different muscles to get that conditioning under way. Which he described as "breaking them in." And in the process of doing that, he discovered this other issue. Better to discover that now than on a trip!!

I did not interpret his post as saying that he found some discomfort and so decided to keep plugging away in the hope that the equipment or his feet would break in. So, @KenLovely , your original question was perfectly reasonable and understandable. Sorry we couldn't be more help. (I'm still wondering what size fins you are breaking in, and if that is the issue.)

@JackD342 I read it differently. "The top of my foot hurts like mad. The area shown in the image". Image clearly indicates where the fin-pocket meets the instep. That is not from muscular discomfort due to unusual activity. That's from a pocket that does not fit properly. Calf pain or cramping is a typical response to a new fin or activity.

@tridacna - I interpreted his original post as saying that he was swimming the fins to get used to them in general, and if they worked out any different muscles to get that conditioning under way. Which he described as "breaking them in." And in the process of doing that, he discovered this other issue. Better to discover that now than on a trip!!

I did not interpret his post as saying that he found some discomfort and so decided to keep plugging away in the hope that the equipment or his feet would break in. So, @KenLovely , your original question was perfectly reasonable and understandable. Sorry we couldn't be more help. (I'm still wondering what size fins you are breaking in, and if that is the issue.)

Thanks, so the fins were fit at my Dive shop, and pain has only developed after a few times in the pool to try them out. (not going to say "break them in" anymore) The fins are a size S. boots are a 9. I removed the plastic inserts that came with them. There is no wigggle room. Does not feel loose from side to side. At this point this whole thing has become over dramatic and I don't want to waste more time ( mine and others) with this forum.
WIN_20190119_17_15_44_Pro.jpg

Thanks, so the fins were fit at my Dive shop, and pain has only developed after a few times in the pool to try them out. (not going to say "break them in" anymore) The fins are a size S. boots are a 9. I removed the plastic inserts that came with them. There is no wigggle room. Does not feel loose from side to side. At this point this whole thing has become over dramatic and I don't want to waste more time ( mine and others) with this forum.View attachment 500067

Your fins are a size small and you have size 9 boots? You need to go up a size! I take size extra small or size 6 wetsuit boots and size small in fins. You definitely need the next size up. Your tootsies are getting squished! Poor tootsies! :wink:

I'm betting that a SMALL fin is too small for a Men's size 9 boot. I'm an 11 shoe - Large fin - minimum. Scary thing is that I'm beginning to agree more and more with @Marie13 !

Thanks, so the fins were fit at my Dive shop, and pain has only developed after a few times in the pool to try them out. (not going to say "break them in" anymore) The fins are a size S. boots are a 9. I removed the plastic inserts that came with them. There is no wigggle room. Does not feel loose from side to side. At this point this whole thing has become over dramatic and I don't want to waste more time ( mine and others) with this forum.View attachment 500067
You should definitely try a size up. I looked through the invoices where I sold an X-Stream in either size S or size R. Size 9 boots with purchase went both ways, but I think size R is most frequent.

I'm betting that a SMALL fin is too small for a Men's size 9 boot. I'm an 11 shoe - Large fin - minimum. Scary thing is that I'm beginning to agree more and more with @Marie13 !

Yeah, like that’s going to happen again, eh? :rofl3:

Thanks for all the advice and open-mindedness. Learning a lot on this site already. Will try out new sizes this week. :)

I'm going with too small as well. Typical (which means there are exceptions) is the buckles are at your heel, not your arch. That picture they are at your arch. Fin loads are being placed on your toes, not your hole foot. My size 9½ mens foot is usually in a Large.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom