New x-treme fins, new pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KenLovely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm breaking in a new set of X-treme fins with a 3 mm size 9 boot. (size 8.5 shoe)
Been swimming in the pool every few days and after each dive, the top of my foot hurts like mad. The area shown in the image. (i'm a warm water diver once a year, cold water the rest of the time. Used to drysuit boots with full foot.)

Any thoughts about the fit or is this a case of just need to break it in? Like flip-flops in summer?

11 days until Cozumel!!!!!!
WIN_20190117_20_30_24_Pro_LI.jpg

I don’t know those fins but I’ve read about freedivers using a heat gun or blow dryer to gently mold foot pockets. Depending on the material you might be able to stretch them a bit, but if you try take it easy don’t burn.

You could use something like a bottle or broomstick to work the edge over to flange it out. But don’t blame me if they get funky when heated. I really don’t know about those fins. You do appear to have high arches however.

Are you referring to Mares X-Stream fins?
Any chance you just have them over tightened or have the wrong size?
If that is US size 9, that isn’t right on the border between size S and R.

And any chance you haven’t removed the plastic packing insert from the foot pocket?
(Don’t laugh, it’s happened before...)

I used Mares X-Stream for a few years. I agree with @JackD342- if they're too tight then the tops of your feet will hurt. That may be the culprit.

I wear US Size 13 shoes and the XL X-Stream fins fit me perfectly with scubapro booties.

I would work hard to resolve this before your trip. I tried another brand of fins that didn't fit well before I went to Cozumel last summer. I ended up with a nasty sore where the fin was rubbing the top of my foot that appears to now be a permanent scar.

You might also need to experiment with many different booties. I tried a bunch before I found the scubapro booties that I now use.

I've had pain in the same area. It was from using a fin with too small of a foot pocket. The foot didn't go into the fin, only the toes. All the fin leverage was on the toes and the mid foot took all the abuse, thus hurt. (FYI I was trying my regular fins when changing to a drysuit with rock boots). Got some XXL fins that fit over the rock boots correctly and that fixed the problem.

Can you post a picture of the fin on your foot. Preferably with the un-finned foot next to it so we can see how the fin fits.

Aside from comfort and visual fit, my conversation with fin customers:
“Lift your foot up and shake side to side. Is it loose? Is there any wobble? Are you unconsciously clenching your toes to hold it in place?”

I had the same problem with those fins on a trip to Belize. Ended up with infections on both feet and lost 4 days of diving because of the chafing. Get a pair of fins that fit properly.

Also: I've never ever had to "break in a pair of fins". These are not hiking boots. They are not going to bend or stretch to accommodate your feet. I think that your premise is bad from the outset. Your feet will break - not the fins.

Back
Top Bottom