New Vintage Scuba YouTube Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel like we are piling on a bit.

@AhoyFed -

I appreciate what you are trying to do. It's good to see someone younger who is interested in this stuff enough to start a video channel about it. Alec Peirce can't do it forever.

It will be hard to impress this crowd since so many used these things when they were new. But I'd look at as an opportunity to make your videos better. Why not run your ideas here first and get some feedback before you finalize your scripts? It's pretty amazing to me that a few of the first generation of divers are still around and willing to help out anyone interested in the early days. And there are plenty of us from the second and third generations of divers who can help with the later vintage gear.

It's pretty amazing to me that a few of the first generation of divers are still around and willing to help out anyone interested in the early days.

Sadly, the only first generation Scuba diver in the US on ScubaBoard that I am aware of is @Sam Miller III. We are lucky to have his first-hand experience available.

I would use a natural setting, like if you have a workshop, maybe a room that has a bookcase in the background a desk and then just get a really good video light.

How do you define vintage, exactly? The regulator combinations I use most often are a Scubapro Mk 10 with a SP G250 Graphite. I have two of these units and a third Mk 10 with a G250V. The 'V' is for vintage, but it's my most modern second stage. Very few of the things I own were purchased in this century, mostly masks and fins. I don't think of the equipment I use as vintage, since I use it in the present, not as some sort of special event but simply because it's what I like. I have a bunch of SP Mk 5 and SP 109, a couple in new never used condition; they are, I suppose, vintage. I have boxes of new condition upgrade kits, DIN conversion kits, Tekna gear, Dacor odds and ends, including a shiny knife I picked up off a reef near Negril in 1974, just after they had shot a bunch of photos for their catalog. Lots of old stuff that will almost certainly outlive me. Have I become a collector of vintage equipment unintentionally?

Hey guys, I made a new video while trying to listen to the recommendations. Better lighting, more props, etc. Let me know what you think. It may still look like a mafia interrogation but at least there’s a nice Royal Mistral in the background :)

The new thread regarding the generations of divers would make for an interesting topic. I’m in the process of securing the rights to some photographs to use in a video about certain famous vintage divers. Stay tuned for more videos. Next week’s video is a special one which will be based around a piece of equipment used in Peter Gimbel’s Blue Water, White Death.

AhoyFed

I feel like we are piling on a bit.

@AhoyFed -

I appreciate what you are trying to do. It's good to see someone younger who is interested in this stuff enough to start a video channel about it. Alec Peirce can't do it forever.

It will be hard to impress this crowd since so many used these things when they were new. But I'd look at as an opportunity to make your videos better. Why not run your ideas here first and get some feedback before you finalize your scripts? It's pretty amazing to me that a few of the first generation of divers are still around and willing to help out anyone interested in the early days. And there are plenty of us from the second and third generations of divers who can help with the later vintage gear.

I may never have as much as Alec Pierce, although I have dealt with him on several occasions. Very polite and well spoken.

I’d be open to suggestions about what you guys want to see more of. I tried some new lighting and a different setup for this week’s video. Hopefully, you’ll learn something about the Rene scuba tanks.

And eventually, by June when the lockdown in Ontario ends, I’ll get the vintage gear into the water and produce quality videos involving the gear and it’s actual use.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, I do not see it as criticism but as a way to make the videos better and more enjoyable for the crowd they were designed for.

AhoyFed

@AhoyFed

It is a common error to think the tapered thread is an NPT (National Pipe Taper), ANSI B1.20.1. It is very similar but is actually an NGT (National Gas Taper), ANSI CGA V-1 thread. See: Scuba Cylinder Valve Installation

Also, the acronym for the Department of Transportation is usually spoken by pronouncing the three letters D.O.T instead of the word dot. Small item but call into question the credibility of the video.

Nice video. I learned something.

But it's "Air Lee-KEED". Aren't you Canadians supposed to be sensitive to zee fronsh longwazh?

Edit: the lighting color is better and it's less harsh, but you still have a very obvious and distracting shadow. I'm not sure how the big budget boys do it, but some sort of jury-rigged diffuser would help even if you are stuck with a single light source.

The first result for the google search budget diffuser for video recording has some very helpful suggestions (you do have scroll down a bit to get to them): https://www.masterclass.com/article...t#4-ways-to-make-a-light-diffuser-on-a-budget

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom