New vintage design dive knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other purposes would be:
To brain fish
To use as a bar to dislodge an urchin and get it in the bag
To clean the urchin once back on shore
To hold down a pissed off crab while you measure it
To cut a multitude of lines, ropes and entaglements
To bang and pry on stuff that need prying and banging
To fight off enemy divers
To piss off people who don't like big dive knives
And because they look cool.

Here you go:
Rambo Knives for Sale

You can pretty much forget about any criticisms (to your face anyway) with one of these babies! 420 stainless takes a decent edge, just baby it a little to control rust. You could build one from Titanium but you would have to add some mass to be a good scallop bar.

You can't beat a diver's hammer and stainless Abalone bar for scallops. Just tell the game warden that it is an emergency signaling device. The mushroomed end of the ab bar could be a problem though.

The longest modern and most commonly found knife I can find only has a blade about 5" long. This is not enough for what I want to do.
My main purpose is to get scallops and sometimes those shells get big. The smaller knives don't cut it (literally) when I slide the blade in between the clamped together shells and attempt to cut one side of the button loose and pry open the shell to get it off the rock. I've seen scallops 8" in diameter with meats the size of a large biscuit.
Right now I have to carry a separate ab iron to be able to get scallops but the end has to remain blunt and rounded to be legal. I have been stopped and asked by Fish & Game if that was an "AB Iron" and you have to say yes. The only two tools you can use are a dive knife or an ab iron. Some people have made what they call a scallop bar with a skinnier end that is sharper. Those are not legal, it has to be an ab iron or a dive knife according to the regulations. I figured if the knife was big enough and made out of good steel it would be great for scallops and I wouldn't have to drag around an ab iron in my goody bag which is a PITA.

The other purposes would be:
To brain fish
To use as a bar to dislodge an urchin and get it in the bag
To clean the urchin once back on shore
To hold down a pissed off crab while you measure it
To cut a multitude of lines, ropes and entaglements
To bang and pry on stuff that need prying and banging
To fight off enemy divers
To piss off people who don't like big dive knives
And because they look cool.

Maybe one of these. 6 inch 440C blade.

US Navy MK 3 MOD 0 Combat knife - eBay (item 150419864114 end time Mar-09-10 19:49:10 PST)

Here you go:
Rambo Knives for Sale

You can pretty much forget about any criticisms (to your face anyway) with one of these babies! 420 stainless takes a decent edge, just baby it a little to control rust. You could build one from Titanium but you would have to add some mass to be a good scallop bar.

You can't beat a diver's hammer and stainless Abalone bar for scallops. Just tell the game warden that it is an emergency signaling device. The mushroomed end of the ab bar could be a problem though.
Stay with the USD Master Dive knife. Made from 420 SS, less expensive and comes with a rot proof sheath.

I'm thinking of making my own knife out of 420 or 440 s/s.
I could use 3/16 x 1.25" flat bar. I called a place here in town and the guy has both of those alloys.
I could plasma cut the shape then grind it down little by little and finish it off with a split turned delrin handle grips that could be screwed to the handle stock.

I could make a sheath out of a doubled up piece of webbing and use a stainless spring as the knife keeper. I would rivet the sheath corners using stainless rivets available at a really good salvage place also in my town.

I like to make stuff even though it's probably not practical, but there's something about a hand made knife that's kinda neat.

There's also this one I saw:
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-30/024182/Cressi-Orca-Dive-Knife.html

The only problem with this knife is it's probably 304 if the one reviewer claims it wont sharpen, or possibly 316 which is even softer.

And this hand made beauty by Von Dutch (Kenny Howard).
Probably not very good for diving but a thing of beauty none the less:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobel1165/3332664791/in/photostream/

i got this for sale ,, best offer?

Attachments

• scuba pro knife 4 sale.jpg
    scuba pro knife 4 sale.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 194
Stay with the USD Master Dive knife. Made from 420 SS, less expensive and comes with a rot proof sheath.

My old USD knife was 300 series, completely non-magnetic and could not hold an edge worth spit. (warning: some memory lane stuff) Even some of the EOD divers had them — though I am not sure they were approved for non-magnetic operations. I only went bug diving with them, but they always used the old Navy aluminum double 90s and all the other non-mag stuff. They had bronze hand tool $ets, used Duck Feet because there was no metal, and some special depth gauges I had never seen on the market.

These knives were made a long time, I wonder if USD changed materials during the original production or is it only on the new ones? They did have a great pounding butt. Here's a though: What if you carry two of these beasts for scallops? You could pound the two butts together and probably get plenty of force. Banging against two flats would minimize mushrooming, especially if you made them from a harder material. It would be difficult for game wardens to say you can’t carry a backup knife.

I do think the pointed butt on the SOG Tigershark would be less useful unless you need to break windshields. It has been a long time, but I remember hand guards getting in the way more than anything else. I also prefer that one side be serrated and knife edge being full length.

Does anyone know what the Cressi Orca is made of and how fine the serrations are? It is interesting the butt is chrome plated, presumably not stainless. If it actually holds an edge, the line cutter is a good addition. Also it doesn't look half bad for braining fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom