New Veo 180 comes with Windows-only software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apple's (Mac) market share is under 8% in the US and under 4% globally.

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...-2009-3-36-percent-apple-earnings-strong.aspx

I'd be willing to bet that divers that own Macs don't even keep those percentages.

As for the hostile Mac minority:

I was just trying to enlighten some users to the reality of the situation and presenting info for them to make a more informed decision. After all a new dive computer, desktop or laptop all cost a good hunk of change and personally I'd rather have 1 computer that can do everything I need it to and the dive computer that best meets my needs. Let's not even go into the value of additional software selections.

I didn't need to call anyone an idiot to make my opinion or myself seem more important.
As for my signature line seems when you express an opinion about how a group or individual should handle a situation you should be ready to accept that others may have a equally valid opinion that negates the value of yours.
When posting your thoughts on an open forum it is an open invitation to others to comment.
I am however pleased to find you gave my signature line some thought I'll give your opinion of it all due consideration.

Someone in my office has his Mac set up to run Windows applications and has successfully run the Oceanic software.

He probably has Windows installed on his computer or is using an emulator. Unfortunately, some companies use that as an excuse: "Sure our software works on Mac, just buy an emulator." That defeats the purpose of owning a Mac, if I wanted to use Windows I wouldn't buy an Apple computer.

Apple's (Mac) market share is under 8% in the US and under 4% globally.

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...-2009-3-36-percent-apple-earnings-strong.aspx
Holy crap, that's awesome! Last I heard Mac had about 2, maybe 3% US market share. They now have 7.5%? Incredible! One more reason they should start making Mac software for dive computers.

...I'd rather have 1 computer that can do everything I need it to and the dive computer that best meets my needs.
Bingo. That's why I love my Mac.

...When posting your thoughts on an open forum it is an open invitation to others to comment.
Fair enough, but I was suggesting something to Oceanic that I believe would increase the value of their brand. It was followed by multiple helpful suggestions/comments. Then, after the fact, you went out of your way to push a personal agenda.

Fair enough, but I was suggesting something to Oceanic that I believe would increase the value of their brand. It was followed by multiple helpful suggestions/comments. Then, after the fact, you went out of your way to push a personal agenda.

It was followed by multiple people offering info on why it isn't a priority for Oceanic and many other manufacturers.

Apparently you are interested in using a Oceanic PDC so the fact is that a Mac doesn't do everything you need it too. It just does some of the things you want it to in a way that you feel is better for you.

The bottom line is you aren't just expressing you opinion you are acting like a spoiled child that isn't getting their way.
Go complain on a Mac forum that the Mac isn't compatible with your PDC and see where that gets you.
You've been informed that it isn't a priority and you've been given options.
Either set up an emulator, get a Windows compatible Mac or get a PC.
It's not like Oceanic ever advertized Mac compatibilty, this isn't a feature you are entitled to.
So who is pushing a personal agenda?

It was followed by multiple people offering info on why it isn't a priority for Oceanic and many other manufacturers.
Okay, we're 1-1 here. I went back and read the thread and prior to your post there was one peron who offered helpful advice, and one person who offered info. on why it isn't a priority (which in and of itself isn't very helpful).

...the fact is that a Mac doesn't do everything you need it too. It just does some of the things you want it to in a way that you feel is better for you.
Again I stand corrected. Since my Mac does maybe 99% of what I need it to, and Windows does maybe 75% of what I need it to the choice is clear.

The bottom line is you aren't just expressing you opinion you are acting like a spoiled child that isn't getting their way.
Not sure how I acted like a spoiled child, but if that's the case then so be it. At least I know the bottom line now.

Go complain on a Mac forum that the Mac isn't compatible with your PDC and see where that gets you.
I appreciate you finally trying to be helpful and I will try that if reefduffer's suggestions don't work. But it would be moronic to complain on a Mac forum before checking the manufacturer's section on a dive forum.
You've been informed that it isn't a priority and you've been given options.
I already knew it wasn't a priority, that's pretty obvious since it doesn't exist. The options I was given are great and I fully intend to pursue them, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Either set up an emulator, get a Windows compatible Mac or get a PC.
There you go again telling me to use Windows.
It's not like Oceanic ever advertized Mac compatibilty, this isn't a feature you are entitled to.
Hence my suggestion that they make a Mac version.
So who is pushing a personal agenda?
See your own quote three quotes up. Unless you're referring to my suggestion that they make Mac-compatible software. In that case it is me pushing a personal agenda.

The real bottom line here is that IMO it is not worth owning Windows and dealing with the headaches, hassles, and inferior software (and hardware) so that I can have my dive computer upload data. Note I put "IMO" before that statement as I have nothing against those who use Windows and more power to them if they like it better. It would serve you well in life to do the same rather than pushing your opinion as fact.

Having worked with both Macs and Windows machines, I won't even compare how much easier and trouble free the Mac is. No viruses, almost no crashes/freezes/blue screens of death. Everything just works. Networks, printers, wifi, you name it.
My Macs do everything, and painlessly. Including going to the office, plugging in the ethernet cable, and joining the network.
And, by the way, when I want to run my Oceanic software, I just re-boot in Windows, and run my Mac as a PC - seamlessly. Although it does suck to have to look at the world through PC eyes....
If you could re-boot a PC and run Mac OS software, you wouldn't be 'dissing Macs.

If you could re-boot a PC and run Mac OS software, you wouldn't be 'dissing Macs.

Nobody is 'dissing Macs", we're just saying Apple doesn't command enough market share for many software developers to write code for it.

Sure seemed like RAW was.....
I understand that I will have to accept compromises, or not run certain software natively if I choose to use a Mac. The fact that I use the computer daily, vs using certain aps (i.e. a dive log) only occasionally makes the choice simple for me. I'm going for ease of use for what I need most often.
I would like it if certain companies would write code for my OS of choice, but in the meantime I'll just make informed buying decisions, and live with my choices.

Sure seemed like RAW was.....
I understand that I will have to accept compromises, or not run certain software natively if I choose to use a Mac. The fact that I use the computer daily, vs using certain aps (i.e. a dive log) only occasionally makes the choice simple for me. I'm going for ease of use for what I need most often.
I would like it if certain companies would write code for my OS of choice, but in the meantime I'll just make informed buying decisions, and live with my choices.

Actually I listed the choices for using a Mac with Oceanlog and suggested that the others instead of complaining (3-6 times annually) about the lack of Mac code for Oceanlog make a choice. If I were in a position that the Mac made more sense to my uses I would definately be set up like you and be able to boot into Windows to run a few apps that required it.
For me and the majority of user however a Windows based PC allows us to do what we need to do.
I would however disagree if you base your opinion of PCs solely on reported problem with the Windows operating system. First there are alternate operating systems for PC and Secondly Many of the problem associated with Windows are simply the fact that so many different perripheral equipment options are available for the PC platform and not every manufacturers drivers work properly when used in conjunction with other hardware.
If you want to comment about memory usage and leaks in windows I'd say there have been problems there that have been addressed over time.
As for virus attacks, the number of attacks on Macs has risen over the years and I expect that will be a continuing trend.
As for ease of use of the OP sys well maybe you got me there but I'm on Windows 7 now and to tell the truth it is a quite a improved system.
The strongest point for a Windows based system however is the variations of both available hardware and software.

I completely understand your point, and it makes sense. There are clearly more PC users out there,. and correspondingly more software/hardware options and support.

My personal experience with PC use v.s. Mac is based on actual workplace experience (3 years) of daily office use of a PC/Windows network, not just reported problems. Coming into that environment from being a Mac user at home and as a self employed person, I was dumbfounded how much time was lost due to various hardware/software/virus/update issues. Maybe the company had a really bad IT department, but I had been accustomed to the reliability of my system, and was really quite surprised.

Back
Top Bottom