New Veo 180 comes with Windows-only software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjjman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just received my Veo 180 and it came with a mini CD (only usable on an old tray drive). I found the software on the Oceanic website, but it looks to be Windows-only. Is there a Macintosh version I can download somewhere?

I just received my Veo 180 and it came with a mini CD (only usable on an old tray drive). I found the software on the Oceanic website, but it looks to be Windows-only. Is there a Macintosh version I can download somewhere?

I don't think there's ever been Mac compatible SW.
Oceanic Worldwide - Owner Services - Software

Really? That's a bummer! If that's true then let's get on it Oceanic!
Today, the people of Oceanic have created an innovative environment that our customers - each of you - can count on to offer the diving products and services you need and want... [We] wake up each day thinking of ways to better serve you.

Yes, it's true. Oceanic has never developed Mac-compatible software.

This has been asked before, and it's not a priority for Oceanic. There are very few users who don't have a PC. The cost of developing and supporting another platform is significant and not cost effective.

Your best bet is probably MacDive: MacDive - Devices
The Devices page doesn't list the Veo 180, but it does list the Atom 2.0, Geo, Datamask, and VT3.

The author, Nick, is t0w here on scubaboard, see the thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app.html
He's been pretty active adding new devices, especially if he can get some help with data traces from someone who has one. It certainly won't cost you much to ask him about it. Read the thread.

An older Mac s/w targeted mostly at Suunto models is DiveLog
I don't see any Oceanics mentioned on his site, I'm including the info for completeness - if you're a Mac user, you're more likely to switch dive computers than use windows, so who knows... :cool2:
But new development of Divelog is less active lately, so if you want to keep your Veo, look at Macdive.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Even Apple has seen the need for Windows compatibility.
There are thousands of pieces of software that are not available for Mac. There is 100 times the numbers of software titles for Windows as there are for Mac. If you are looking for a truely powerful personal computer it's a PC not a Mac. Mac users are still in the minority and this is not going to change. Mac is a nitch market even if it is a big nitch. Divers using Mac computers are such a small nitch group that there is no profit in developing the software. If you need to use a Mac for work or like it for personal reasons then this is just another reason to reconsider your choice.

Here comes RAWalker to tell people how to live their lives yet again.. Do it all his way or your a idiot apparently.

Thanks a ton reefduffer! I'll check out those resources.

RAWalker, I smell the coffee if you're referring to Apple needing Windows compatibility. Not sure where you got the impression that I didn't. Maybe you didn't realize that Windows has the vast majority of market share. That would explain Apple's need for that compatibility, the fact there is so much more software for Windows (is it really only 100x?), and the fact that the most powerful PCs are Windows-based (although most of them - and unless you're a gaming nerd, probably yours too - are less powerful than Macs).

I'm not here to sway anyone one way or the other, I can only say that I love my Mac since I can do things so easily on it that I could never do before. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't think so based on the endless frustrations I hear from my Windows-using family/friends/coworkers.

As far as not being profitable, that's just not true. It would cost a few grand to port the existing software to Mac, and Oceanic could state it is there as a courtesy only with no support offered.

Yet, I realize it will be some time before they start making mac versions so I will hunt down reefduffer's leads. And by the way RAWalker, in case you haven't smelled the coffee, there WILL be mac supported software at some point (in case you haven't been paying attention over the last 10 years).

One more note, no one asked for your opinion. You should read your signature line again.

Someone in my office has his Mac set up to run Windows applications and has successfully run the Oceanic software.

As far as not being profitable, that's just not true. It would cost a few grand to port the existing software to Mac, and Oceanic could state it is there as a courtesy only with no support offered.

Where was Mac when they came out with ocean log, not may places. If Mac was so popular by now it should hold 50% of the market not 18% give or take alittle. Years ago we PC people pay the money for the software and the cable. The scuba companies are not making that much money on the download kits.

You Mac guy need to get money together and say Oceanic, Suunto, Mares, Scubapro we have X amount of dollars to build a Mac version of your software. Or find a Mac software engineer who would write the program for you and send it to the scuba company where all they have to do is add their interface code.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom