New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It'd be pretty easy for the airlines to guard against this. If the entire baggage compartment were enclosed by some conductive metal, you'd be 90% of the way there. After that, they'd have to put special (but not very expensive) seals on the doors and filter any wires that run through there. With all of that, you'd be hard pressed to send any radio signal to your baggage.

This latest threat was mixing up a peroxide based explosive on the plane.

Laptops may only be a UK problem right now, they have tighter restrictions than we do for the time being. Howard, you might want to call the airport & ask.

As far as I am aware, electronics are not at issue in the US at the moment. I plan on bringing my laptop as a carry on for business later this month - shouldn't be an issue. At the end of the month, the wife, kids and I are heading to Grand Cayman. My wife will wear her glasses rather than contacts and the kids (infant and toddler) will still be allowed their little bottles. So far as I can tell the inconvenience is minimal. The current emphasis on what kind of carry on items are ok or not is on UK to US flights and is likely to be adjusted after it is established that the current threat has past. Much ado about nothing, IMHO. The current delays are due people being unfamiliar with the new, and likely temporary, requirements.

Wayward Son:
Laptops may only be a UK problem right now, they have tighter restrictions than we do for the time being. Howard, you might want to call the airport & ask.
I'm cool until Tuesday - I'll check then, and either ship my stuff ahead or not at that time.

Yes, the tighter restrictions are on the UK. We all should be able to take our laptops, dive computers, camera housings, etc. as a carry on (for now - sure don't hope they impose tighter restrictions anytime soon).

Books make a good diversion in lui of the game boys, etc. Sorry guys about the dry eyes, maybe the stewardess's would be willing to keep some on hand for everyone? lol

Gad!!! All these kneejerk reactions! I am leaving for Borneo in two weeks and need to carry most of my camera stuff in carry-on bags. I hope they settle down by then and allow me to carry my two items onboard. I will, certainly, pack all silicone grease and anything else that may be misunderstood in my checked bag.
One can only hope for some semblance of calm.

OK so not to long ago i remember alot of people saying we will do anything we have to as long as flying is safe. . . .

NOW that the govt are foiling plots to do harm . . . we are complaining about not being able to take our laptops or our camera gear on board??? What the Heck happened in a few years???

I guess in these situations we have two options be safe and put up with some tight security or not and we all know what happens with laxed security. . .

If your worried about your gear do what was mentioned earlier overnight your gear or get a flipping tough box to ship it in .

MEL-DC Diver:
Allison,
Just out of curiosity, what about the current situation strikes you as not having a semblance of calm?

i think they meant before they have to fly again. . .

Back
Top Bottom