New Toy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny

dirty-finned dive goddess
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks to Debby Diver providing the link to Florida Bay Outfitters in the Keys, I bit the bullet and put a deposit down on a kayak. I have sat on the side for years wishing I was the one getting the kayak while others have been bragging on their new toy. Jealousy will drain your bank account! LOL..
So, come end of July, which just so happens to be near my birthday, I am taking ownership of an OK Trident 11 in the color Mango.
Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me...and Happy Mother's Day to me!!!

Now to find a paddle and accessories....

Jenny -- Craigs list has accessory items often.

And congrats

I still think the Peek-A-Boo would be great for catching lobster. There are a group of guys who tow a snorkeler behind their boat looking for antennae. When he spots it he lets go and keeps eyes on target. The boat circles two divers drop in, catch bug get back in boat and continue..

Jenny, WOO HOO Congrats!!!!!!!! You are gonna love it!!!!

Maybe FBO will be selling some rental PFDs and paddles as well. Also Bass Pro has some that aren't that expensive. Get yourself a free Bass Pro rewards membership and you'll get points with everything you buy.

You'll need lots of other inexpensive doodads, we can talk about it tonight.

Eric, I think the thing with the peekaboo is that when we drag our yaks across the sand, wouldn't that window get all scratched up?

Actually, I've done really well finding lobster spots by going out on clear vis days wearing my polaroid shades, can't exactly see the antennae, but you can easily spot suitable habitat. I've been pretty darn lucky. Also I drift like crazy with my yak, I cover a LOT of territory because heck, I don't have to swim back to the car if I get really far from the launch site, I only have to paddle.

Of course when I find a cool spot I ascend and hit the "mark" button on my GPS.

YAY we are getting more and more kayak divers!!!

Is it July 25th yet? Am thinking of maybe making a weekend out of the trip to the keys to get the yak...

Good for you - you deserve it. Plus it's a healthy hobby so don't feel guilty about indulging!

The thing you didn't think of though, is that now you're going to have to find one for hermit crab (and two seats, and two paddles, and two pfds...).

If you want budget tips give me a call or PM - in addition to being question boy, I'm also budget boy!
e.g. Those sponge body surfing boards sometimes have a nice leash that can be used as a paddle leash and can be found for free when the board wears out. Also, get a hundred feet or so of thin nylon line and start making tethers for all your gear. Next time you get your tanks filled, have the shop put a 2" brass ring around the valve - it makes tying it off much easier and more secure. One lady lost a tank at Venice this weekend, I think.

Is it July 25th yet? Am thinking of maybe making a weekend out of the trip to the keys to get the yak...
July 28-29 is Mini-Season...you could turn it into a camp 'n' yak vacation!

thedaddy -- I did the brass ring thing on my tanks years and years ago to be able to cable down the spare while I was diving. When I changed profile to look into a hole I got the clunk cling-- then head up.. cling clunk... it drove me nuts. I took it off finally and now I just set my spare tank on the trigger of a homemade Claymore I made out of an old Altoids can.

I did have a Caiman I just threw in the back of the truck but FWC wrote me some tickets so I turned it loose at Ginnie Springs...

Congrats on your new toy!! You'll have to bring it to the Venice dive this summer!:)

Next time you get your tanks filled, have the shop put a 2" brass ring around the valve - it makes tying it off much easier and more secure.
I simply have a strong line with brass clips at each end. One end is clipped to the boat...the other to the stainless gear ring on my BC. Then I strap everything down really well.

When I reach my dive site, I unstrap the gear, and throw it overboard. It is still attached to the boat until I leave the boat, don the gear, unclip, and descend.

No need for the brass ring because you have the gear loop on your BC.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom