New To the PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnBhutch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am moving to Seattle from FL and was wondering if my 7 mil Semi-dry will be divable??? Lets face it cold water here is 68F :)

I am moving to Seattle from FL and was wondering if my 7 mil Semi-dry will be divable??? Lets face it cold water here is 68F :)
It'll be fine from about April till about October ... after that, it depends on how tough you are. I know a few folks who dive wet here in winter ... but they're seriously motivated divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

JohnB, my computer recorded 44 degree water temps last weekend. Can you bring some of your water with you?

... but they're seriously motivated divers ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You can read that as ...they're absolutely nuts ...

If you need a 7 mil semi dry in Fla you are going to want to drive dry here. I was just in Grand Bahamas last week and a 2/3 mil full suit was just fine and I won't dive wet here at all. But I'm a wimp re cold.

You will really want a dry suit as our waters range about 42-52 degrees year round and these temps can vary especially if you find yourself up in the San Juan Islands or British Columbia.
Start looking for a drysuit and give a shout when you get here and want to get wet and I am sure there are several of us that can take you out for a PS Intro Dive...
Kirsten

I guess it is time to start shopping for a used Dry Suit.

try discount dive supply on westlake

... or not ... it's been my experience that buying used gear there is a crap shoot. You can get good deals on occasion, but you can also come out of it with a serious case of buyer's remorse.

John, I have a friend who's selling a fairly new suit at a really good price ... if it happened to be your size, you may want to consider it ...

Northwest Dive Club :: Drysuit for Sale

That board's a good local resource as well for dive buddies ... lots of really active, friendly divers there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hi John,

Where from FL?
I moved from Key West to Seattle 2 years ago.
You will have more fun in a GOOD drysuit

You can read that as ...they're absolutely nuts ...

As one of the above mentioned nuts, it can be done, but it's not really pleasant. If your budget can take the hit, get a drysuit, you'll be a much warmer, happier diver.

I've found that even if you can take the cold of the water, when you get out and the air temp is in the 30's, it's cold.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom