New To the PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there were a few things to take pics of with the great viz on Thursday!

CIMG0027.jpg

CIMG0032.jpg

CIMG0031.jpg

CIMG0024.jpg

Wow, great nudi picture!

One thing to consider: you can come up here and dive occasionally with your wetsuit and it isn't too bad once in a while. This will keep your practice up, and speed up the timing on that drysuit fund. At least that's what happened to me. I did a dive in my 7mm farmer john with air temp at about 27F and water at about 45F. And I forgot my quarters for the hot showers!!! And it was still a great dive day! And it was very motivating to help me not spend drysuit money on coffee, etc.

The main point is, you don't have to give up diving completely while you're saving for your drysuit.

For the limited time I've been diving, I have used a 7 mm semi-dry (water recently has been 46-48 F). It's been completely tolerable, although I usually find myself with light shivers by the end of a 40 minute dive. :)

Hi -

I'm a new diver in Seattle (15 dives), and all but 2 of my dives have been in wetsuits. I use a 7mm full with a 7mm hooded shorty. The real challenge is the surface interval. I strip my torso down, dowse with warm (not hot) water and dry off. I then massively cover my torso and head and regularly pour warm water down the bottoms. All of this done while my drysuit diving buddies relax with a cup of coffee. Hope this info helps...

-Ed in Mill Creek

Ed-

Just take the plunge... buy the drysuit. You'll be much happier just like your buddies :)

-Nick

Oh, and to anyone in west sound - I'm finally settled in and will be looking to dive around here. Anyone who needs a buddy let me know.

Hi -

I'm a new diver in Seattle (15 dives), and all but 2 of my dives have been in wetsuits. I use a 7mm full with a 7mm hooded shorty. The real challenge is the surface interval. I strip my torso down, dowse with warm (not hot) water and dry off. I then massively cover my torso and head and regularly pour warm water down the bottoms. All of this done while my drysuit diving buddies relax with a cup of coffee. Hope this info helps...

-Ed in Mill Creek

I don't want to talk anyone out of diving dry, but I dive a Mares Isotherm 6.5mm semi-dry up here, and I've never been the least bit cold in the water. I've had dives where I didn't know I was wet until I took the suit off. I've come up sweating. A drysuit is worth it for the surface intervals, but the semi-dry is great for single dives.

my first dive was in a 7mm farmer john (does that make it 14mm?) at the Mukilteo ferry terminal. I was comfortable, it was spring though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom