New To the PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've found that even if you can take the cold of the water, when you get out and the air temp is in the 30's, it's cold.....

I'll second that! I actually have been enjoying diving wet in the cold temps here... but it's your time at the surface that really tests your nerves :11:
Get yourself a drysuit!

It will be a while before I can dive in NW it looks like. We are moving from Rockledge, FL near Cocoa Beach. The move out will do us in for some time to come I am afraid. I will just have to start a dry suit fund and wait a year or so.

Yeah, it will probably be a shock coming from FL. If you really have an itch, maybe look into renting a suit and taking a class. I think its kinda short sighted to buy a DS without diving with a couple models first anyway. I think I had 25 drysuit dives before I finally bought one last November.

Tom

John,

I had the oportunity to dive Edmunds last February. Water temp was 42-45. I dove 7mm wet.
That is the only dive I have considered because I was too cold. I did enjoy the dive but would not repeat with the 7mm wetsuit.

Have fun.

Steve

Sometimes you can catch some good deals at the summer sales around here- usually June/July- most shops will pricematch or compete with the pricing.

Don't a few of the dive shops rent dry suits? I don't live in Seattle (yet, probably will if I can sell my house) but when I was checking out dive shops in the area I thought I saw what looked like rental dry suits at one of the stores.

Oh, one other thing, you might want to switch over from Aluminum to Steel tanks if you can. The first time I went dry suit diving in the Seattle area I need I think 36 lbs to sink me in my dry suit with an AL tank. Granted with some practice and likely some better underwear I can probably get it down, but still the weight was shocking. Its quite a difference from fresh water Great Lakes diving where real cold weather is 28 lbs, and as low as 16 lbs in the summer. Its probably why a backplate is so popular there over a conventional BC.

John I suppose you have a 7 mm jumpsuit, a 20 pound weight belt, would do you or so. in the summer months youll be fine for your first year any ways, if you like wasting time in one area taking pictures you will get cold, just keep moving. there are enough shore dives to keep you busy. I only dive dry past 165' cause of so much deco time.

Enjoy while your here.

Don't a few of the dive shops rent dry suits? I don't live in Seattle (yet, probably will if I can sell my house) but when I was checking out dive shops in the area I thought I saw what looked like rental dry suits at one of the stores

Yes, there are shops here that rent drysuits. For liability reasons, they may(and should) require you to get some supervision in a confined setting before taking the suit into the water.

And as someone who happens to like a dive where I am doing nothing more than "wasting time in one area taking pictures" as it was so eloquently put, a dry suit becomes a necessity. My best dives are the ones where I move around the least and pay very close attention to what's right in front of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom