(New to ScubaBoard) Hi! A few Cozumel Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dehydrated_Atom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First off,
Hello to ScubaBoard, I am happy to have found you all.

I'm here hoping to get some information on a good place to get a rental car, and some good places to eat.

Here is the background. I am headed there in March for Carnival (Arriving the 5th and leaving the 13th). This will be my second trip to Cozumel.

My first trip was in August. I stayed at Casa Del Mar and did the AI package minus the diving (had excellent dives with the DM's from Aqua Safari + a trip off the coast of Quinta Roo (sp) for whale shark snorkeling).

As it was my first trip and I was hyper-focused on getting in the water at every opportunity (save my last day's trip to Tulum).

This means I left Cozumel without a great deal of local knowledge.

I saw many places to rent cars, but had no idea who the "reputable" agencies in town were.

I saw a few places to eat, but nothing stood out to me. (Hard Rock Cafe and the like are not what I am ideally looking for)

I never really found any well populated bars either. (Senior Frogs and the like are also not what I am ideally looking for)

This go around I am staying at the Casa Mexicana (Diving with Aqua Safari Again) and am on my own for food.

I really want to avoid using taxi's if possible, I really want to get some good grub, and I'd love to find some evening enjoyment (though I expect with Carnival, this time should be easier).

So, if anyone out there is gracious enough to give me a leg up on the local stuff I will hug you and squeeze you and pet you and call you George.

P.S. This face just seems completely inappropriate in any context and I love it. :eyebrow:

I have rented for years from ISIS car rental. Margarita is the owner and is the one you would be dealing with. She is great, very trustworthy, I know of no one that has ever been charged for mysterious scratches that just appeared. Her car are not brand new but in good shape. She has the famous Mexican Ferraris that I love to bomb around in. She is located down town, a little north of the square on 5th ave.

I would 2nd Kevin's recommendation of Isis. Margarita is the best. Keep in mind, in town the best places to park you rental will charge a small fee. Great places to eat very close. to you. Kinta is on 5, chi right down the street, our favorite taco place is El Pique up on 30, you cold walk to Otates for tacos as well. As far as bars, I would suggest Woodys right on the square in the back left hand corner or Wet Wendys that is very close by to Woodys on the square.
Carnival brings a whole new vibe to downtown. Casa Mexica is a prime parade watching location. Its busy and in the evening on parade nights it is very crowded. I am sure you will have a great time.

I'll be checking out Isis this time then.

I had Otates for tacos last time. I think I went with the cow tongue. I think I will go less Andrew Zimmern next time. :hm:
I've read rave reviews on Kinta so that is a "for sure" and I will gladly patron the others as well.

Awesome advice and thanks very much!

Wet Wendys is a great day time and early nighttime bar to visit, its on Ave 5 on the pedestrian walk way.
El Foco is also on 5 with good cheap food.
Kinta- a nicer place to eat great food
Especias - for Cozumel on the expensive side but with awesome food.
Costa Brava is right around the corner from the hotel you are at and they have good food at very reasonable prices (breakfast is our favorite here).
Abbuelo Gerardo (sp) is another cheaper place to eat, especially breakfast.

Another vote for renting a car from Isis, Margartia is great and her prices are fair.

La Choza is quite good local fare, not sure of the address though. I just know how to walk there. Sorissi's is good Italian food, pricey however. Guido's also has decent Italian. Casa Denis good local fare. Rolandi's is good. Rock 'n Java has excellent breakfast for a decent price.

Why do you want to avoid taxis? I find them cheap and accessible. I might rent a car for the day to go around the island, but for back and forth between a close-in* hotel and town, the taxis are fine with me, and I don't have to futz around with parking. They know where the restaurants are, too. Try finding El Moro on your own some time. :D

*from La Ceiba northward

First off,
Hello to ScubaBoard, I am happy to have found you all.

I'm here hoping to get some information on a good place to get a rental car, and some good places to eat.

Here is the background. I am headed there in March for Carnival (Arriving the 5th and leaving the 13th). This will be my second trip to Cozumel.

My first trip was in August. I stayed at Casa Del Mar and did the AI package minus the diving (had excellent dives with the DM's from Aqua Safari + a trip off the coast of Quinta Roo (sp) for whale shark snorkeling).

As it was my first trip and I was hyper-focused on getting in the water at every opportunity (save my last day's trip to Tulum).

This means I left Cozumel without a great deal of local knowledge.

I saw many places to rent cars, but had no idea who the "reputable" agencies in town were.

I saw a few places to eat, but nothing stood out to me. (Hard Rock Cafe and the like are not what I am ideally looking for)

I never really found any well populated bars either. (Senior Frogs and the like are also not what I am ideally looking for)

This go around I am staying at the Casa Mexicana (Diving with Aqua Safari Again) and am on my own for food.

I really want to avoid using taxi's if possible, I really want to get some good grub, and I'd love to find some evening enjoyment (though I expect with Carnival, this time should be easier).

So, if anyone out there is gracious enough to give me a leg up on the local stuff I will hug you and squeeze you and pet you and call you George.

P.S. This face just seems completely inappropriate in any context and I love it. :eyebrow:

Welcome !!! So glad to see a new member here ! Since you will be there for Carnival you are going to be in for a very fun time. To answer your questions..... Michael and I have been going to Cozumel for several years. As many folks here on the Cozumel we have our favorites. Some folks have even MANY more years under their belts and have stuck to their favorites like glue. I think that is a true testimony to dedication. Anyway, considering you wish list, I have a few ideas for you. (After I wrote this I realized that I got long winded on my writing..but, this is nothing new....sorry...:-} )

Food wise: Try out the Comida Economicas. These are local places, some in private like home settings, that serve FANTASTIC very economical meals. My favorite is Chilango's located on Avenida 10 between Calle 11 and 15. It is open from around 11 until 5 . Just go in, find an empty seat, order from the menu on the wall and let the meal happen. Cost is around $6.00 USD

La Choza, on Avenida 10 between Calle 3 and Rosado Salas. Ask for waiter Angel and tell them Baby and Pelon sent you. :) Great entrees for around $12.00 USD My fave: Shrimp Veracruz

Asadero el Pollo- Yummy grilled chicken meal, which includes a baggy of onion, baggy of rice and fresh/warm totillas. A whole chicken meal is about $9.00 USD. It is a take out place but a meal to perhaps take back to your balcony/room or to a park or plaza. It is located on Avenida 30 and calle 5. From Casa Mexicana, walk EAST on 5 back to Avenida 30, turn right and walk a little bit until you come to this little chicken shop on your right. Go in, order, at the first counter, they give you a ticket and yell the order to the grill people. Pick up your chicken package and you are on your way in minuets... Just be there early enough-11 ish as they will only serve until they run out of chicken which could be around 4 ish.

Other places...Rock N Java, Jeanies Waffle house (nice view), Sorrisi's for Italian and Prima's located on the top floor of the El Cantil Condo's. Try the awesome Crab mac and cheese !! One entree enough for 4-6 people to try as a great side dish as it can get overwhelming as a full meal

Okay enough of food. As far as getting around. Michael and I have never rented a car. We have considered it a few times, but for us, by the time we added up the cost of rental and full insurance we find it to be so much more economical to not rent. There are many folks who do and enjoy it very much. We just have never done so and are very happy with walking or taking a taxi. From Casa Mexicana there are so many places and things to do with walking or an easy and affordable taxi ride. Even if we go to the East side for a day of R & R we hire a car for the day. For around $30.00 + we will arrange a drive to a location on the East side with a pre-arranged pick up time. Or for a fare on the higher side of our scale, say $60.00 + we have on occasions hired a driver that will stay with us for the day. We always include beverage ,meals and tip for our driver as well. We truly enjoy these days as we usually get some insight as to what is going on and meet a new friend in the process. What is so wonderful is that we leave the driving to someone else for our day out and we don't need to deal with parking.

Places to party are not on our radar as we really don't drink that much because we usually have a full dive schedule and I will admit we just are not up to too much night life. Although I am hearing wonderful things about the new Wet Wendy's...maybe we will visit there on our next trip. We usually buy our own stuff and keep it in our room for light refreshments or perhaps visit the hotel bar.

Regardless of where you end up at, do have a wonderful time ! Enjoy your time in Cozumel ! Sue and Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom