New to scuba Diving, need info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luke101

Reaction score
Hey I am new to this, I am very interested in pursuing a career in the scuba diving industry, I am 18 years old and last year with one of my grad classes we took a PADI course and got our certificates and dived in Costa Rica, I am going to take the full padi instructor program this summer, for 6 months, and training in cayman islands is involved, so what I need to know is for someone my age, how to get started if I get a job after the class, like is it a good career to get into? how long can you do this until you get bored of it? And if you get a job in lets say cayman islands? how long can I live there for, liek government issues and is it expensive, should I take bartending to make extra money while I am down there? Just information like that would be wonderful...or anything else you can think of to get me stoked on this, because I am a little iffy on it, my parents want me to take either business or this, and I don't want to spend my life in an office always stressing, so ya, oh and also are their skateboard parks down there haha, well anything wil be useful, I know it is a lot of questions but I need some advice, thanks

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. At the bottom, be sure to notice the Local & Singles Dive Club forums.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Hello Luke,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

Welcome to the board Luke. As for making diving a career, all I can suggest is look deep into yourself. You have to LOVE this sport to make a career out of it. It is a wonderful thought of living the Jimmy Buffet life style, but remember you probable will not make a lot of money being a dive instructor. If you combined this sport with marine biology, or something in that order, then you may make some money. Just love the sport and everything else will fall into place. Remember, you are only 18 years old. You have your whole life ahead of you. Enjoy it while you can. If you need anything else just PM me.

P.S. - I almost forgot to mention that my wife (baitedstorm) is getting ready to take her IDC Instructor's course very soon. She could also help you if you need it. Good Luck in what ever you decide.

Hi There luke101,
Welcome to Scuba Board –One of the most informative and dedicated boards on the net. You can meet a lot of helpful people here and it’s an awesome place to get answers to your questions regarding scuba diving. If you ever want to chat feel free to PM me. Take care and safe diving

-Matt- :palmtree::sunny

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Howdy from Saudi...Just remember, no matter how many c-cards you have, it's the actual experience that makes you a good diver or instructor. Good luck and dive, dive dive. I am a PADI Divemaster, and assist an instructor-friend of mine with his students. Good practice for me, helps me learn the ropes so that if I ever do decide to take the next step, I've had some experience. Helps me to learn how I would do a course, what I would do the same, and what would be different. Cheers!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Welcome to the boards m8, youll find that alot of memebers here are infact instructors, they may be able to give you some adviceon furture job. Theres alot out there that involves scuba diving. Dont feel like youre the youngest here either, Im only 16. You may also want to try the New to Scuba board.

Back
Top Bottom