New to diving, question about fins and cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all! As the title says, I'm new to diving and looking forward to the sport. I'm currently enrolled in a class at my university that gets students certified through PADI.
I'd like to practice at my local pool, with whatever equipment I currently own (mask, snorkel, booties, fins, gloves). We will be renting our BCD, Tank, etc.
Unfortunately, I usually forget my gear back at the university, so I'd like to purchase an extra pair of fins to take back home and practice with over the weekends. I've tried swimming with a few different ones, and so far the fins that I feel most comfortable with have all been aqualung's. I don't know why, but they feel comfortable overall.
Can anyone suggest a good pair of sub-$40 fins? I currently own a pair of Blade 2's which I will be taking on boat dives.
I'm currently considering the Trek, Hinge-Flex, or Proflex fins. I'll be using this second pair mainly in the pool, but it would be nice if I could take them on a beach dive. I'm mainly looking for something that's easy on the legs.

As for my second question, what's the average cost to go on a dive, once certified? Factoring in rentals (BCD, Reg, weight belt, tank, etc.), boat fees, etc?
I'm mainly looking at areas in California, such as Catalina.

Thank you

A lot of newer divers (too many) spend most of their short dive time swimming real fast without stopping and never see anything. Don't be one of those! Do a seaech on "blade fins" Scubapro Jet fins are an example. Hollis has a similar but lighter set. You may need more or less weight to keep your feet in a horizontal plane. Finally focusing on comfort out of the box will of not provide the most long term comfort or effectiveness.

Can"t think of a "good" set of fins under $40, unless you find some good used ones. If you are happy with your AL Blades stick with a fin that is long and narrow and flexible like the Blades. Jet fins and Hollis F1s are all wrong for a new diver, and as far from your Blades as a fin can get. Check with your AquaLung dealer and ask about DeepSee fins which are AL's lower price point brand. Check and see who is selling some used gear on the board, you might find a bargain. I dive in CA from time to time, and have found that most charters charge about $125 for a dive trip, but that does not include rental gear. I have made trips on the Raptor out of Ventura and the Waterhorse out of San Diego, both great operations and great boats (46 Newtons) Good Luck!

Hollis has a similar but lighter set. You may need more or less weight to keep your feet in a horizontal plane.

I own the Hollis F1 Bat Fins and they're heeeeavy. They're also a tad more than $40. Hollis also has the F2 fin which - only based on speculation and what I've read - are a lighter, more flexible fin that still delivers solid propulsion.

As far as cost - out on eastern long island if you're renting EVERYTHING and breathing air for just a day that's easily $100. A boat trip will vary from $80 - $150 depending on where you're going and then I usually tip the crew $20. I'm not sure how this compares to the west coast, but I'm willing to bet it's pretty similar.

-KH

Only chance of getting something decent sub-$40 is used. I use ScubaPro Jet Sports for paddling around in the ocean in a light wetsuit and ScubaPro Jets for diving caves in a drysuit. The Jet Sports are lightweight, but mine have gotten pretty beat up over a couple of years; the Jets are way heavy but look like they'll last forever. I would recommend the Jet Sports for a new diver, not the Jets.

Personally for a first purchase, I see fins as more important than BC, than reg, than anything other than mask( which can't leak or you will hate diving).

Get poor fins, and you will never get well adapted to the underwater environment. Poor fins will mean you never will go fast enough to be able to then glide, and understand streamlining or drag. Poor fins and currents will horify you---great fins and currents are fun.

Get a pair of freediving fins---best deals will be for cressi gara 3000's LD's ( $75 to $100 online) and by practicing with them, you should never actually "need" a BC for life support, and you are likley to get your scuba tanks to last much longer, because they are much more efficeint fins.
And, you can freedive also!!

---------- Post added February 8th, 2013 at 11:54 AM ----------

Cressi Gara 3000 LD Long Blade Freediving Fins, 10-11 - Nextag Stores OK, price is higher now than last time I looked, but still not bad

and see this Cressi Gara Pro Fins Review - YouTube

Boat fees in the Southern U.S. (East/Gulf coasts) I've experienced for 2 dives in a day have ranged from $80 to $125. Varies according to area and how much gas it takes to go whatever variable distances--and what the competition is, I guess. I once paid $150 plus $100 gas but it was only me & one other diver. There is also a tip for the divemaster/crew, which for me is usually $20 ($10 per tank). Most places included the 2 tanks with the fee and I recall one that included weights, but none that included any other equipment. Some sort of surface interval snack is usually included. The one boat I've been on in Canada charged $50 for the 2 dive day-- No tanks, snacks, but who cares.

As far as a trip goes. Depending on rental gear you can look anywhere from $40.00 to $65.00 a day. Boats run around $125.00 or so. For boat dives try and find one that includes air and food such as the Spectre out of Ventura. Catilina can get expensive since you also have to pay for the ferry out to the island which I believe is around $70.00 round trip.

Here is a good set of fins at low cost. I have a pair, as do my wife and youngest son. My oldest son has a pair of the Tusa Imprex fins. Both are good fins at a good price. They are light and comfortable. When I'm not diving my Jet Fins, I use the Tusas.

Tusa Liberator X Ten Fins @ Divers-Supply.com

See above for fin recommendations.

The cost for a boat dive depends on the operator. In general prices can vary between $90 to $130 per person, not including gear. Price for full set gear is about $80 includes wetsuit, weights, BC, and regs. Less depending on what you are renting. For me, when renting a BC, weights, and reg for my daughter it's about $40/day. Generally almost all (there are a few exceptions) boats and dive operators include tanks and air refills in cost of the dive trip. Cost will also go up the farther the boat has to go and how many tanks are provided.

Shore dive, just need a buddy and your gear, so what ever your rental cost would be for the day. Do keep in mind most shops do not give you a credit for the gear, so if you show up and thumb the dive you should not expect a refund. I keep renting with my local LDS because they will give me a credit (it pays to be a loyal customer too) for the next time. My nephew didn't get the same courtesy from his LDS even though he took classes with them.

Back
Top Bottom