New to diving, question about fins and cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone. I'm looking into all if the recommendations now. To be honest, I purchased the blades because the lady behind the counter sold them to me for $30, no tax. In fact, she's the one who set me up with all my gear, had me fitted, etc.
The blades feel nice, but they feel a tad "heavy" if that makes any sense. Ill he training my leg muscles in the pool to work on that. I was looking at the al slingshots which look nice, but are they worth the price?
Oh and trust me, I do not intend on gliding through the water and not taking things in. But I do want a pair of fins that I maneuver easily with.
Yeah, the pricing is what I expected.

Thanks again everyone! Suggestions/recommendations are always welcome

i'm too late to answer your question since you already have fins, but for someone just starting out i would recommend going with Tusa liberator or imprex fins. If you find them on sale you can get them around or under $40. You can also look at cheaper brands like IST and Promate. Their fins will work just fine for open water certification classes and frankly IMO are just as good as the Tusa liberators.

Forget the heavy rubber fins, you won't need those just starting out. Just have fun and be safe, and if you decide to make the jump to more serious diving then you can decide if you want to put down a lot more cash for that kind of gear.

Thanks everyone, as Paladin and reef have suggested, I'm going to give the Tusa fins a shot.
I have access to my university's 12 foot pool, so I'll freedive with both and see which I prefer.

I'm not sure why I'm so set on them, but the Aqualung Hingeflex look very tempting. I'll probably stick with the Tusas, but between the two, which seems like it would fit what I'm looking for, better?

The Hingeflex is a snorkeling fin. I'm not sure they would give enough thrust for pushing a diver loaded with SCUBA equipment.

I too think a new set of "good "fins will run over $100.00, quite bit over. However, if you are looking at pool/warm water usage, you can likely find a used set of full foot fins in you price range. I don't think there is much difference between brands of lower priced full foot fins, and since your focus is on price, go for the best deal.
I have a pair of

Scubagolf, thanks so much for the link. That price is affordable!
Dennis, thanks as well. I have a feeling there was more to the message though, haha.

I was offered a pair of Tusa Xpert Zoom fins by my local scuba shop. She mentioned that I should try a split fin and offered to sell me a pair for $55 (if it would fit on my feet, since she only has 2 pairs). I'm going into her shop tomorrow to check out the Tusa Liberator's, but I suppose I'll take a look at the Xpert's too.

I have a pair of tusa imprex fins I got from LP for <$40 years ago for snorkeling.... I've tried to find an excuse to replace them with more expensive fins, but I like them so much I still use them. Last year I threw on some spring straps, and I like them even more now.

I have a pair of tusa imprex fins I got from LP for <$40 years ago for snorkeling.... I've tried to find an excuse to replace them with more expensive fins, but I like them so much I still use them. Last year I threw on some spring straps, and I like them even more now.

I believe those are the fins my instructor brings along as a backup. He uses them for snorkeling as well. I'll have to try his out if he doesn't mind.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2013 at 11:30 PM ----------

I decided to expand my budget a bit, since a good pair of fins is really important to me.
I'm currently looking at the Tusa XPert Zoom SF8 and the Aqualung Slingshots.
I've heard a few negative things about the Slingshot but the Xpert zoom's look nice, based solely on the reviews.

Would you guys and gals recommend the Xpert zooms? Or Slingshots?

Back
Top Bottom