New testing requirements for return to USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Technically, this change hasn't yet been approved (it's been published in the record). However, I do not know of any lawsuits that will be filed against frivolous impediment of the right to travel.

Yes antigen tests are accepted (and widely available and cheap). Here are the full rules. I leave for the Red Sea today and have already booked an antigen test in Hurghada for my return flight with results available in 30 minutes.

I am flying in and out of Marsa Alam. Working it out.
Good luck mate.

Does anybody planning to travel with overnight PCR test? If plane departs in the afternoon and overnight PCR is ready in the morning of departure. I assume that results will be still checked by airline at the registration. Do I need to be tested less then 24h before registration or plane departure? Or any time the day before departure will work? I hope that if plane will be delayed at the last moment and passenger is already in departure area nobody will come after him/her.

Does anybody planning to travel with overnight PCR test? If plane departs in the afternoon and overnight PCR is ready in the morning of departure. I assume that results will be still checked by airline at the registration. Do I need to be tested less then 24h before registration or plane departure? Or any time the day before departure will work? I hope that if plane will be delayed at the last moment and passenger is already in departure area nobody will come after him/her.
Why get a PCR test if the Antigen test is cheaper, faster, and works as well for travel?

The CDC site's FAQ discussed the wording being that the test has to be done within one day, not 24 hours of departure. Sp, "Or any time the day before departure will work?" is a yes. Here is a quote from COVID-19 and Your Health
The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

Why get a PCR test if the Antigen test is cheaper, faster, and works as well for travel?

The CDC site's FAQ discussed the wording being that the test has to be done within one day, not 24 hours of departure. Sp, "Or any time the day before departure will work?" is a yes.
Because some of us live in countries that require PCR (or NAAT) tests but will be on flights which connect through the USA.

Because some of us live in countries that require PCR (or NAAT) tests but will be on flights which connect through the USA.
Yes, you do. He lives in Philadelphia, PA US, and the thread is titled for return to the US.

In my case I may need to travel abroad and return to US from a place where I can get either PCR test without much hassle day before or come to airport without test and go for antigen test at the airport but I do not have much information of how much time I need. Even if test takes 30 min but line to get one may be unpredictably long, since new rules just started and different places may take different time to adjust

In my case I may need to travel abroad and return to US from a place where I can get either PCR test without much hassle day before or come to airport without test and go for antigen test at the airport but I do not have much information of how much time I need. Even if test takes 30 min but line to get one may be unpredictably long, since new rules just started and different places may take different time to adjust
Ok, I would certainly prefer to obtain the test results before going to the airport. From that same CDC page...
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Yes, you do. He lives in Philadelphia, PA US, and the thread is titled for return to the US.
But my point is that if we have to transit through the US, we have to meet both the criteria for the US and the final destination, in my case Canada. My point is still valid. Perhaps not for the OP, but as an answer to your question.

But my point is that if we have to transit through the US, we have to meet both the criteria for the US and the final destination, in my case Canada. My point is still valid. Perhaps not for the OP, but as an answer to your question.
Okee dokee, but my question was to the fellow traveling to Philly. I'm sure that you try to avoid changing planes in the US since you also have to deal with our I&C, then our TSA. I guess sometimes you have to, so the PCR would work best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom