New tanks VIP? Conflicting answers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A tank that has just had a Hydro (e.g. a new tank) has no need for a VIP. That's why you don't need a sticker on a tank that's just out of it's first or second (etc) hydro test. Some shops may insist otherwise out of ignorance. Others may do it maliciously (to get your money).
Not done maliciously. Many times tanks have come back from hydro with water in it or if steel rust that can be removed either by tumble or brush. Once I found a tank back from hydro with a dead mouse in it. Still think it’s a money grab?

Not done maliciously. Many times tanks have come back from hydro with water in it or if steel rust that can be removed either by tumble or brush. Once I found a tank back from hydro with a dead mouse in it. Still think it’s a money grab?
mmmmm mouse flavored gas

I think there is a difference between getting a brand new tank from a store and getting one back from hydro. I was once asked to inspect a tank before its first use a few weeks after hydro. I could not see any steel inside it because of the thick coating of rust. Sure, you want to take a look at a brand new cylinder, but that gleaming interior does not take a whole lot of study, and it does not take long to identify any manufacturing defects on the threads--which I have never seen, BTW.

yes KWS any one can make a sticker , its up to the lds ......sdi and psi stickers have more legit air about them ........i for one dont fill generic tank stickers UNLESS i knoe who did the vip then im ok with it

The whole vis thing is a bit of a scam...

Clearly you have no clue about the history of diving and tanks, and why the VIS program was instituted.

I grew up in Los Angeles in the 1960s, when the smog was horrible. The city was obscured in a thick orange haze. As a kid, my lungs hurt when I played outside. School was often cancelled because of severe smog. California eventually instituted a clean-air program with severe restrictions on car emissions. Now the air is much cleaner. You can stand in the hills above L.A. and you can see downtown. But people today are now staying stupid things like: "The air is clean! Why do we need all of these restrictive air quality standards when the air is clean? Clean air standards are a bit of a scam."

Likewise:
"The whole vis thing is a bit of a scam..."

Clearly you have no clue about the history of diving and tanks, and why the VIS program was instituted.

I grew up in Los Angeles in the 1960s, when the smog was horrible. The city was obscured in a thick orange haze. As a kid, my lungs hurt when I played outside. School was often cancelled because of severe smog. California eventually instituted a clean-air program with severe restrictions on car emissions. Now the air is much cleaner. You can stand in the hills above L.A. and you can see downtown. But people today are now staying stupid things like: "The air is clean! Why do we need all of these restrictive air quality standards when the air is clean? Clean air standards are a bit of a scam."

Likewise:
"The whole vis thing is a bit of a scam..."

This is a joke, right? It's got to be a play on the term 'vis'. If so, good one. If not, I don't understand the comparison of environmental standards that are proven to save lives with a dive shop practice of charging for their employees (often with no real training) visual inspection of scuba tanks.

...with a dive shop practice of charging for their employees (often with no real training) visual inspection of scuba tanks...
I don't of any shop owner who would sticker a tank - and thus assume liability - based on the inspection of an untrained employee. The joke is you suggesting such a thing.

yes KWS any one can make a sticker , its up to the lds ......sdi and psi stickers have more legit air about them ........i for one dont fill generic tank stickers UNLESS i knoe who did the vip then im ok with it

You are so right about that. Many shops are like that. especially inthe days of fear of luxfer tanks. They look at the vip sticker and if it is just a generic vip sticker with no reference to a shop they reject it an a home made one. The shop insignia on it usually takes away any worry. The issue is then,,,,,, did some one apply a stolen sticker when one blows up. If so the shop did not issue that sticker, or the shop does not exist. with he PSI number on it I directs accountability to the inspector. both the inspector and the client has a copy of the inspection report. and yes some one could get the stickers and put someones number on it. BUT neither the shop of client will have a paper record of the vip being done. PSI is about legal accountability and proof of work being done.

Back
Top Bottom