New tanks VIP? Conflicting answers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nathan Doty

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to pull the trigger on 2 new faber stealth tanks. LDS doesn't have them, their distributor is 2 months out of stock, so I'm looking at leisurepro and diveritein, both say they have them in stock..

LP says the tanks are hydro, by law shipped with the valve separate and it will need a viz before filling.

DR says the tanks are in hydro, shipped with valve separate and VIP on the tank. Put the 2 together and get filled no new viz needed.

LP has them on sale, free shipping. But once I add 2 vip, they are more expensive as they won't ship tanks free.

Any ideas who is right or am I just looking at 2 company policies and the're both right?

First, as I presume you know, the whole VIP thing is industry standard, not DOT regulation.
That said, DR is saying their inspection shows the tank to be ready for valve and fill on the basis of their inspection. LP is saying, "I don't know what might get slipped into the tank before the valve goes on, so I won't put my label on there."

I would go the cheapest route and talk to your LDS. See if they won't give you a free or discounted VIP with a new tank. Maybe they won't, because you didn't buy it from them, but it's worth a try. I know some shops that won't fill a tank that's at zero psi without a VIP, because they don't know how long it's been at zero and potentially moist inside.

Cheapest might be DR, even with shipping cost, if you have @couv's $3 transfill toy to put a few hundred psi in the tanks:Tank Equalizer for $2.50
You've got the VIP, they're not empty, so no one can argue.

if the tanks are shipped with the plugs from the manufacturer and the valves are shipped in a sealed package, there is no logical reason they cannot be reassembled in a suitably clean and dry environment without requiring another visual upon receipt.

with that said, does your LDS have the HDG tanks or can get the HDG version instead? try to haggle with them to drop the price a little on the HDG tanks to keep the sale or give you some fill cards to make up the difference.

The shop is actually about bare bones on new tanks right now. I bought their last 100's a month ago and they have no 80's. His distributor doesn't have galvanized either. He did go on about price matching with shipping etc. I told him "I'm just trying to give you money instead of them". If they're within a couple bucks I'd rather keep the money local. The equalizer is probably a good idea and not worry about it afterwards.

I couldn't understand the 'rule' on a new tank, LP's stance didn't make any sense to me. In general I just don't want to buy a brand new tank and then pay another chunk of change for a dive shop to say "yep, it's new" and put a sticker on it :)

Late yesterday I called another dive shop a bit further south than us. They confirmed they have 1 new 80 for sale and also some rentals for sale as well. She didn't have the price on the rentals but said the new was $480. No wonder it's still on the floor. I told her that they sell everywhere in the 270 range and that was nuts for a price. "All those places buy their inventory from shops that have closed, you won't get a warranty with those!" She's supposed to call me today with prices, but I'm guessing I won't be getting in the car to give them money. Worst case my daughter will be on rentals, but odds are I'll be ordering soon.

Thanks for the info.

It is my understanding that new tanks don't need a VIP the first year, why, BECAUSE THEY ARE NEW TANKS ! ! !

no rsinger is right 1 its NOT a dot/ctc reg its our scuba industry , so if lds says no we have to vip to fill ,2 their compressor their rules

Remember the poor fellow filling your tanks. Inspections are done so that this fellow doesn't get killed by an exploding tank while filling your tank.

A visual inspection needs to be done on every tank, even a new tank, so that the fill station operator has confidence that they won't die or get maimed filling your tank. Do not try to circumvent the inspection process.

Buying a stickered tank and a separate valve, and then assembling the two, is circumventing the inspection process if you don't tell the fill station that that's what you did.

The whole vis thing is a bit of a scam in that there is no legal requirement for it and many, if not most, dive shop employees doing the vis have no real training to do so.

But, it is their compressor, so they make the rules. If I were a dive shop owner and someone brought in brand new tanks they had bought online with a vis sticker, I would not charge them for a vis. I'd peek inside to make sure there wasn't anything obviously wrong and then fill them. It's good will and common courtesy.

Although it is EXTREMELY rare to have any filling-related injuries with air, the shop does have a legitimate concern for safety with compressed gas, so you might have to just put up with whatever they want to do.

The $7 solution: https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Tank-Visual-Inspection-Sticker/dp/B003JP2YNY

There are a lot of websites that will make you custom stickers for next to nothing. You could design your own on one of those for about $1 and have a sticker from Nathan's dive shop.

It makes no sense to waste extra money getting a VIP on a new tank. Most shops "throw it in" free when you buy a tank from them because there's no real work to do other than operating a handheld hole punch and peeling the back off a sticker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom