new Sidemount diver trying to do drills with us at BHB....Problems beyond belief!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol:

Well, I know one fun issue with sidemount -- me trying to get into my pocket for a mask swap! It's pretty funny-looking, although I've fixed a procedure to make it right.

I recently started carrying a Dive Rite pouch clipped to the bottom of the rails.
Similar to this setup Go Side Mount Shop. The Razor Expandable Pouch

Basic idea is to unclip the entire pocket,bring it in front of you to retrieve whatever is needed. If you look at some of Brian Kakuks videos you can see he has something like this

Needs a little practice but so far I like it.

Give me a couple weeks or so to go over my videos. Video feedback is a great tool and I have dozens of hours of video from the sidemount classes I teach. I have both how to do it and how not to do it videos, right Jax? :wink:

Also, Let me know when you want to do this BHB thing. I get down to south Florida a couple times a year. I have a place near WPB I can stay so the only issue for me would be fitting it into my schedule.
Awesome! Can I get some of these clips in 1080p avi or high res mov so that it edits in perfectly with what we will be shooting?
As to when, why don't the group involved in this thread, discuss a good WHEN for a planned BHB trip....

Reactions: Jax
I recently started carrying a Dive Rite pouch clipped to the bottom of the rails.
Similar to this setup Go Side Mount Shop. The Razor Expandable Pouch

Basic idea is to unclip the entire pocket,bring it in front of you to retrieve whatever is needed. If you look at some of Brian Kakuks videos you can see he has something like this

Needs a little practice but so far I like it.

I've seen people do that in BM as well.

Not sure I want something back there in sidemount cave.

I can usually jostle things around to reach my pockets but it's not something I can do super gracefully in silty cave...I usually jostle things enough to stir up a little silt. However, it's rare that I need to reach into a pocket. Mask failure has never happened to me in real life, my light has never failed beyond use in real life, and I've never needed the backup spools in my pockets for anything. I do sometimes like to pull out tables for deco but by that point I'm not usually in small silty cave where it's an issue, and it's not a requirement as I typically do have atleast one computer running in computer mode.

I'm not sure what is worse, giving a new diver a pouch, something else they have to relearn muscle memory for, or to have them store things like in BM, and learn to reach the pockets with tanks in the way.

I do wonder sometimes what I would have done differently if I'd taken a sidemount class. I really do think it's a good idea for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable, or look comfortable, within a few dives. But, there are only a few people I'd suggest taking one from. Lots of people teaching stuff they really shouldn't teach, even if they do understand the basics enough to do them on their own. Have you spoken with your friend to find out if she would be able to take a class with Rob Neto?

I do wonder sometimes what I would have done differently if I'd taken a sidemount class.
I feel the same way. I have learned a lot by trail and error and it HAS been fun. I think I want to take a class from Rob just because he is the shiznit when it comes to getting fully dialed in.

But what did you look like when you were reaching for your mask??? :D

:spit:

I know. I Know. Shut up and go away.

DC

Never! :hugs:

I feel the same way. I have learned a lot by trail and error and it HAS been fun. I think I want to take a class from Rob just because he is the shiznit when it comes to getting fully dialed in.

Rob let me try a lot of different things, so I could find out the "how it's going to gotcha!"

I am actually pretty smooth at retrieving my mask - I put some velcro strips on the XS Scuba Shorts' velcro so they wouldn't be so strong, and I now unclip the top of my deco bottle to reach for the mask, and I've learned to feel for the ring on the pocket flap so I am actually tugging on the pocket flap, instead of the pocket . . . must less fun and exciting, now! :D

I've seen people do that in BM as well.

Not sure I want something back there in sidemount cave.

I wondered about the rear pouch when I first saw them, but they end up riding on the back of your thighs, not your butt, and are not the high point. Easier to use than they seem. Unclip, bring it around to the front and clip off to your chest drings. Being able to see what you need in your pocket vs using touch alone is a nice benefit.

Putting it away is skill, but not really difficult. Grab both double enders with one hand, and use the othe rhand to sweep reels etc out of the way. Clip one DE and then the other.

Like clipping of an spg, it's a muscle memory thang...:wink:

Tobin

Last edited:
BTW, Dan, I'm not diving sidemount. I just keep playing with the idea.

BTW, Dan, I'm not diving sidemount. I just keep playing with the idea.

Thus making you a perfect candidate for a movie!!!! :D

Awesome! Can I get some of these clips in 1080p avi or high res mov so that it edits in perfectly with what we will be shooting?
As to when, why don't the group involved in this thread, discuss a good WHEN for a planned BHB trip....

Most of it was my P&S as I just bought a GoPro last November. The resolution is pretty good though. I'll send you some stuff to see what you think and if it will fit in with your other video. E-mail me at chipoladivers@gmail.com so I have an e-mail address to send it to.

Dan, after Rob dialed in my sidemount, my clipped off primary will hit the bottom before my tanks or anything else will. That is like 3-4".

I found the best solution to that was to swap back to primary in mouth temporarily if it's just for a short piece of cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom