new Sidemount diver trying to do drills with us at BHB....Problems beyond belief!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I didn't read this entire thread ( my eyes are hurting, I think my glasses need to be adjusted) but this part about not knowing what tank she's on?

I'm not a SM diver I've only seen vids so I'm just guessing here but, is it not possible to follow the hose from the 2nd stage to the tank to determine which tank one is on?

Yep. Dee hose point to dee tank. I don't know what a BHB is but I'm guessing some sort of quarry, which is a perfect, safe, boring place to test out new gear. I've never messed with a Razor, it wouldn't be a good fit for me, but ANY sidemount rig needs specific tweaking for the individual. The length of the bungees, the position of the cam bands on the tanks, the length of the leash on the clips, trim weights, hose routing, etc. It takes time and it's different for every diver. That being said, I learned it a long time ago and NEVER did another dive in backmount (until forced to by a CCR class).

Hey, Dan, are we going to hear any follow-up?

Hey, Dan, are we going to hear any follow-up?

There is a follow up story, but it is beyond a soap opera level at the moment....when some substance that is not just disturbing develops, I will share....for the moment, the last issue she had was some north Florida in-bred that had a cave instructor rating, just tried to "take advantage of her"....as she went to one of the springs for some cave training....On the plus side, she now realizes that all cave instructors are not equal, and I think has much greater interest in what Sherwood or Errol could help her with....there are 3 issues:
1. is it impossible for her to be very comfortable in a back mount system...she does have a halcyon backplate and harness already--just no one who knew how to adjust it.....
2. If sidemount is better for her, how is it best rigged and how will she learn how to use it
3. she has been pursueing cave training, with several of the wrong instructors, and this needs to be rectified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom