New shop: Zen Diving Cooperative in Pasadena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It should be a great shop. One of the principles is formerly out of Hollywood Divers, so look for it to have a bit of a tech edge.

They open Friday but by appointment only. I'm planning to swing by for coffee, so to speak, see what's up.

I'd love to get a report from you after that. Very curious about the brands they sell, and the training they offer.

I heard a couple of the principals are GUE oriented. The GUE web site at GUE AFFILIATED DIVE CENTERS has Zen Dive Co listed as a Premium Dive Center for 2021, the only one in CA and one of three in the USA. Hollywood Divers is only listed as a GUE Dive Center.

I stopped by this morning and had a good chat with the people there. Writing this from memory so please excuse any omissions or mistakes.

Shop facilities: modern, minimalist shop as is the style today, with most of the stock in the back so as not to clutter things up. I spotted jetfins (or equivalent) in multiple colors on the wall, Santi and DUI drysuits, Scubapro wetsuits and regs, Fourth Element, Halcyon, Shearwater, Divesoft, some DPVs, etc... a fair bit of nice gear. Rentals included a rack of backplates with red/blue halcyon wings for rental, try suits both wet and dry, and tanks. Banked gas, at least 32% and 50% if I recall correctly (trimix available, I think), and for at least up to 32% you can pull up to the rear door and they'll fill your tanks directly in your vehicle. Malibu Scuba Repair is setting up shop in the back, if your regs need service. Big coffee machine behind the front counter.

The front section also has a big glass-walled conference room (photos online), for teaching, planning, events. They are officially GUE (branded truck out front and logo on some name tags) along with NAUI and PADI, have an instructor team, and are aiming to keep class sizes small (max 3). There are also associated freelancers if you're interested in something else (TDI came up for sidemount, for instance).

Sounds like a big part of what they're trying to do is build a community space. There's plans to start running trips, of course. These will be local while COVID lasts, but possibly more off-the-beaten-path type things, say things like diving+camping or sierra lakes. They also plan to start a club and run activities, and said people are welcome to stop by to hang out. If you have a club or an expedition and need a meeting space, the conference room will be available to be booked.

TLDR, my impression is of a hybrid shop/meeting space, w/ nice people, facilities, and gear. Definitely worth checking out.

No, not yet, but they said it's in the works. There will be a way to order online at some future date, and events will show up on the site / social media.

Sounds very nice. If I ever get back there (PHS class of '85), I'll be sure to stop in.

Back
Top Bottom