New Shearwater firmware for all computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In past used iMac and Shearwater desktop app but would not connect for this update. So loaded the Shearwater cloud. Prompt connection but like other posters the update would time out. Finely on the 6th try it completed.

I had no trouble at all updating mine with Shearwater Desktop on a Mac. I have tried Shearwater Cloud many times and it always is a PoS!

My guess for both of you would be that it's an issue with the Bluetooth implementation on your phone/laptop

Shearwater's Bluetooth implementation has always been, shall we say, flakey.

I prefer to use my home workstation as the master for everything. Previously I accepted that since it was Win 7 it wouldn't connect (even though no other bluetooth devices ever have that issue. My then method was to sync to my phone and then download from teh cloud to my computer. Not ideal, but livable

So when I finally moved to Win 10 the problem would be solved right?

Nope. My computer will now connect with the Shearwater desktop app via bluetooth, but not with the Shearwater desktop cloud. Nothing to do with my machine, the dongle or the dive computer and everything to do with poor software and the SW bluetooth implementation.

I prefer to use my home workstation as the master for everything. Previously I accepted that since it was Win 7 it wouldn't connect (even though no other bluetooth devices ever have that issue. My then method was to sync to my phone and then download from teh cloud to my computer. Not ideal, but livable

Nope. My computer will now connect with the Shearwater desktop app via bluetooth, but not with the Shearwater desktop cloud. Nothing to do with my machine, the dongle or the dive computer and everything to do with poor software and the SW bluetooth implementation.

To me, this is SW one weekspot. It's never been flawless, always been slow. I really liked that the D6 dc had a bt interface to mess with all the settings via the phone instead of having to fiddle with the buttons on the dc.

Really has nothing to do with it's performance underwater, still would be nice.

So on to more interesting questions...
What data are you guys displaying on your main screen now?
I run my Perdix AI in Rec mode. I modified my display due to the customizable mini displays. Previously I had tried to use the AI Mini, but I didn’t like it. IIRC, the AI mini included tank pressure, GTR, and SAC. I didn’t like it for a couple of reasons. First, the size of each field was small. I like the tank pressure to be larger. Second, I don’t like to see SAC all the time. In my vehicle, I also don’t monitor instant or average mpg as I found by monitoring it constantly, Had a negative effect on actual mpg.

Prior to v84, my bottom row displayed the following:
Gas Mix / T1 Pressure / SurfGF

Post v84 my bottom row displays the following:
Gas Mix / T1 Pressure / Mini 1
Mini 1 contains:
TTS
GTR
SurfGF

No issues at all, the SW cloud has everything I could need or want.

My luck in connecting with my Perdix has always been hit and miss. With a lot more misses than hits. After messing around with it for about a half hour it usually clicks.
67081264.jpg

I download my dives via bluetooth to Dive Log on my iPhone - usually on the boat after each dive. The transfer is a bit slow but not a problem. Then when I get home I wi-fi synch it with Diving Log 6.0 on my PC to keep a backup in case I had an issue with my phone (broken, lost, etc.,). That transfer is almost instantaneous. I can then edit/add info to the logs if need be and wi-fi synch back up to the iPhone. The combination of Dive Log on my phone and Diving Log 6.0 on my PC work great - the 2 programs work pretty seamlessly together.

Updated the firmware, and now my Perdix will not link to my PC's. It linked to my Android, but tried two different PC's and nada. It will pair with the PC's (shows in the bluetooth device list) but not connect to the cloud app. I alerted tech support.

I'm in the same boat, but I wasn't able to try on a different PC yet. Updated through Android, can't connect to PC. Tried 2 different adapters.

This could be totally wrong and I could be totally misremembering.

But, I seem to remember that when the Perdix first came out, it used Bluetooth non-LE. Then, at some point, they transitioned to using Bluetooth LE.

I wonder if you guys' issue is that your old firmware was using non-LE and the new firmware is only supporting use of LE. And, possibly the BT adapter in your PCs doesn't support LE.

Just a wild-ass guess to consider as you try to troubleshoot.

My luck in connecting with my Perdix has always been hit and miss. With a lot more misses than hits. After messing around with it for about a half hour it usually clicks.
My luck has been very consistent. For me, it always seems to work on my iPhone. Never had any issues.

Success rate on my MacBook has been different, but still very consistent. Now, my MacBook is around 9 years old. It can’t run Big Sur, but is running Catalina. 2.6.5 works great, but 2.7.1 won’t connect. I had a similar experience before installing Catalina. Older versions of SW Cloud Desktop would work, but not the latest.

If you are having trouble, try older versions. Just change the version number in the url to an older version.

Back
Top Bottom